Number 10 bus to be merged other routes

Dublin Bus has announced that it is to merge the Number 10 bus route to UCD with the Number 39, however the city centre to UCD route will not be affected.

As part of the Network Direct project, Route 10 will soon be merged with Route 46a and Route 39a.

A spokesperson for Dublin Bus told The University Observer: “The routing and service that is currently offered by Route 10 is not changing and customers will now have an improved level of service.  Route number 10 will no longer be in use, but the routing and bus stops it currently serves will be provided for by Route 46a and Route 39a.”

Route 46a is to be extended to the Phoenix Park via Phibsboro and North Circular Road along the current Route 10 alignment from St. Stephen’s Green. Dublin Bus says that the service will operate every ten minutes during the day.

Route 39a will operate from UCD to Ongar via Waterloo Road along the current Route 10 alignment on the south of the city, with services expected every ten minutes in daytime hours.

The Number 10 has provided a regular and direct service from the city centre to UCD for many years and has been a vital means of transport for many students.

It was originally announced that these changes would take place in July. However, there were fears of the service being removed altogether when Dublin Bus began making complaints of UCD students damaging much of their fleet due to anti-social behaviour.

The news has been welcomed by the UCD Students’ Union. UCDSU President Paul Lynam said: “The Students’ Union is delighted that UCD has managed to hold onto the only direct bus route from campus to the city. Students must be properly served by a safe and easily accessible bus service. We congratulate Dublin Bus on its decision following extensive lobbying from the Students Union.”

UCD Students’ Union Campaigns & Communications Vice-President, Pat De Brún, said: “We campaigned to ensure UCD students did not lose out to the rationalisation process of Dublin Bus. The Number 10 is not only a vital service, but it is iconic in UCD history.”

A spokesperson for Dublin Bus said “all number 10 services will operate as normal up until 11pm and we are currently in discussions with UCD over late night services”.

An exact date for the merging of the routes has not been set, but a spokesperson for Dublin Bus told The University Observer that customers will be informed when the changes are due.