News in Brief – January 22nd 2013

UCD Professor appointed editor-in-chief of QJM

The Quarterly Journal of Medicine (QJM) has appointed Seamas Donnelly, staff member of both the UCD School of Medicine and Medical Science and St Vincent’s University Hospital, as its new Editor-in-Chief. He becomes the first Irish based academic to hold this position.

QJM is a leading medical journal and the official publication of the Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Ireland. It has a long standing reputation for publishing original medical research, peer-reviewed articles and papers, and placing a focus on internal medicine. Published monthly, QJM includes original papers, editorials, reviews, commentary papers to air controversial issues, and a correspondence column.

Speaking about his new role, Professor Donnelly said: “I’m honoured to be appointed Editor-in-Chief of the Quarterly Journal of Medicine. I will build on the historical reputation of the journal in the Translational Medicine space with the mission of the journal to stimulate, educate and challenge our readers and significantly contributes to their pursuit of lifelong medical learning”.

Two UCD Graduates nominated for acting awards

Two recent graduates of UCD have made the shortlist for the Irish Times Theatre Awards. Beginning in 1997, the awards have looked to reward excellence in all aspects of Irish theatre, from the actors and directors, to the production, design and writing.

Catriona Ennis, a former UCD Ad Astra Performing Arts Scholar, who completed her MA in Drama and Performance in 2012 and her BA in English and Drama in 2010, has been shortlisted for ‘Best Actress’. This is in recognition of her portrayal of Young Girl in Anu Productions’ The Boys of Foley Street. Directed by Louise Lowe, the production was a major success at the recent Dublin Theatre Festival.

Gavin Drea who completed his BA English and Film at UCD in 2011 has been nominated for ‘Best Supporting Actor’. He played Des in the Druid Murphy production of A Whistle in the Dark, which toured Ireland, the UK and the US to great acclaim during 2012.

The awards are open to any professional theatre companies or productions performed in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. Anyone nominated will be profiled in the Irish Times this month, and then the invite-only awards ceremony is held in February to recognise the very best in Irish Theatre.

Architect Kevin Roche presented with Ulysses Medal

In a special ceremony to mark the end of a year-long celebration of the centenary of the UCD School of Architecture, UCD alumni and renowned architect Kevin Roche was presented with the UCD Ulysses Medal.

Roche, the Irish architect behind such buildings like skyscrapers of the UN Plaza and California’s Oakland Museum, was presented with the award by UCD President Dr Hugh Brady and then took part in a live interview with Shane O’Toole, in front of invited guests and students.

During the interview he talked about beginning his study in UCD’s then small School of Architecture, to then serving an apprenticeship under the leading Irish architect of the time Michael Scott, before spells in London and a further graduate degree at the Illinois Institute of Technology.

Looking back on his success Roche says: “It comes down to a lot of luck, but one thing you’ve got to do is work, work, work. All my life I worked six or seven days a week, eight or ten hours a day. You have to do that and keep at it”.