News in Brief – February 5th

Smurfit Business School 64th in 2013 Financial Times Global MBA Rankings.

The full-time MBA course at UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School has been placed 64th in the 2013 Financial Times Global MBA Rankings.

As the only school in Ireland to obtain a place in the rankings, the Smurfit School has maintained its title as Ireland’s leading business school. It rose 22 places in the last year  and obtained an average rank of 76th over the past three years.

The school achieved a higher ranking than schools such as the University of Western Ontario: Ivey in Canada and University of Washington: Foster in the US. In terms of European schools, the school’s MBA course achieved a ranking of 18th.

Dean of the School, Prof. Ciarán O hÓgartaigh, said he was“delighted that, once again, [the] MBA is ranked with the top business schools in the world; the only Irish business school to do so”.

O hÓgartaigh knows his school is competing on the world stage to attract the best faculty members and students. He says that “results, such as these, position us firmly amongst the world leaders in business education”

Professor Philip O’Connell appointed Director of UCD Geary Institute.

Professor Philip O’Connell has been announced as Director of the UCD Geary Institute by the University’s Governing Authority. Professor O’Connell joins UCD from the Economic and Social Research Institute of Ireland where he was Head of Social Research and Director of the European Migration Network in Ireland.

The Geary Institute conducts cutting-edge research in economics and social science and is considered to be in the top 5% of economic institutions in the world. According to UCD President,  Doctor Hugh Brady: “Professor O’Connell brings valuable leadership experience” to his new role at the Institute.

In addition to his tenure as Director of the Institute, Professor O’Connell is currently involved in a number of comparative European research projects.

Specialising in labour market research, Professor O’Connell has authored several books on work-related education and training. His research interests are concentrated in the areas of quality of work and access to employment.

Chieftains fiddler Sean Keane to play UCD Student Centre

Sean Keane, the original fiddler from the Irish traditional music group the Chieftains, is coming to UCD to play an intimate recital in the new Student Centre. Organised by the UCD Traditional Music Society and the Arts Council, Keane is scheduled to play a lunch-time performance on Wednesday, February 6th.

Keane has a strong respect for traditional music and both of his parents were also fiddle players. During his youth, he received classical training from the Dublin School of Music and in the 1960’s Keane became a member of Ceoltoiri Cualann. Keane joined the Chieftains in 1968. They have often been cited for bringing traditional Irish music to the attention of the world. Six-time Grammy Award winners, the Chieftains recently celebrated their 50th anniversary.

Keane is also a very well respected solo fiddle player and his album ‘Sean Keane’ is much admired. In the 1980’s, Keane collaborated with his brother James Keane and Mick Moloney on the album ‘Reel Away the Real World.”

The recital will be held in meeting rooms five to seven at 1.15pm. Admission is free.