News in Brief

UCD lecturer appointed as Docklands chief

PROFESSOR of Management in UCD, Niamh Brennan has been appointed as the new chair of the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA).

Prof. Brennan succeeds businessman, Gerry McCaughey after he stepped down from the position less than a month after taking over the role. Mr McCaughey was forced to resign following details that were leaked to the media regarding a complicated tax avoidance scheme.

Prof. Brennan’s appointment was confirmed by Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, John Gormley on 27th March.

Prof. Brennan is one of the State’s leading authorities on corporate governance, Academic Director of the Centre for Corporate Governance at UCD and is regarded as an expert in the area of forensic accounting.

Barbara Feeney

SU members elected to USI positions

TWO MEMBERS of the UCD Students’ Union (SU) have been elected to represent students at the Union of Students of Ireland (USI) for 2009/2010.

SU Campaigns and Communications Officer, Dan O’Neill, was elected to the uncontested position of Deputy President winning 174 votes out of 179.

Mr O Neill stated while he would work on issues such as fees and grants, his main priority would be to make USI more visible to colleges and universities. He believes that “USI should be with members standing side by side, fighting on behalf of students to improve our education system in Ireland.”

SU President, Aodhán Ó Deá, was elected to the position of Irish Language Officer. His main aim is to promote the language by putting “pressure on universities and SUs to have Irish Language Officers… [and] trying to set up Irish language societies.”

SU Women’s Officer, Isobel O’Conner, was unsuccessful in her attempt in becoming Equality Officer losing out to the current Equality Officer, Linda Kelly.

Quinton O’Reilly

20 students arrested during UL RAG week

20 STUDENTS from the University of Limerick (UL) have been arrested for public order offences which occurred during the university’s Raise A Grand (RAG) week.

A number of complaints were made by residents living near the campus, who reported a number of reckless and violent incidents, including the overturning of a car, a tree being uprooted and windows being smashed.

UL President, Prof. Don Barry, condemned the actions of the students involved saying that the actions of a minority have brought the entire student body into disrepute. He also stated that the university is reviewing the events of RAG week in conjunction with the Students’ Union (SU), gardaí and local residents who were affected by the disturbances.

UL SU President, Pa O’Brian said he regretted that the message and purpose of RAG week had been lost on some students.

Over €8,000 was raised over the week and the funds will be donated to Milford Hospice, Limerick Red Cross, Limerick Mental Health Association and St Gabriel’s School and Centre.

UL’s RAG week took place from the 30th March to 3rd April.

Quinton O’Reilly