News in Brief

Smurfit School of Business makes the grade
Danielle Moran

THE MICHAEL Smurfit School of Business has recently been named 19th in Europe and 61st in the world, making it the only Irish business school listed in the Financial Times worldwide rankings.

The Economist Intelligence Unit has also ranked the school as 16th in Europe and 40th in the world’s top 100 full-time MBA programmes. The school has also been named 38th in the world by the Financial Times master’s in management ranking.

Dean of the Smurfit School of Business, Prof. Tom Begley said that those at the school are “delighted to be the only Irish business school ranked in the top 100 in the world by the Financial Times”. The school has been pursuing a policy of benchmarking itself against the best business schools over the last 10 years, Prof. Begley stated.

Recent results for the school’s executve MBA programme have revealed an increase in the average salaries of graduates of 73 per cent in the three years following graduation.

TCD award former Taoiseach with Hist medal
Quinton O’Reilly

FORMER-Taoiseach and Minister for Finance, Bertie Ahern, was awarded by the Historical Society (Hist) in Trinity College Dublin (TCD) in a recent ceremony. Mr Ahern was awarded the gold medal for his contribution to establishing peace in Northern Ireland, most notably the signing of the Good Friday agreement.

In his speech, Mr Ahern told students not to be constrained by the limitations of society and that concentrating on the future, and not the past, was vital in achieving the continuing success of peace in the Northern Ireland.

Mr Ahern was originally due to chair a debate organised by the society, but had to leave early as he was required to vote on the 2008 Budget in Leinster House.

Mr Ahern had attended the debate on crutches after falling down the stairs at his home, fracturing his leg. Record Secretary for the Historical Society, Barry Cahill, joked that the award was responsible for his injuries, referring to previous recipients such as former-Taoiseach, Garrett Fitzgerald, who became ill shortly after receiving his award and exiled Burmese activist, Aung San Suu Kyi who is currently under house arrest.

Previous recipients of the society gold medal include author, Bram Stoker, Douglas Hyde and most recently, Cabinet members, Mary Harney and Brian Lenihan.

Third-level institutions collaborate for nanoscience research
Quinton O’Reilly

OVER TEN different third-level institutions across Ireland are combining their resources and knowledge in the study of nanoscience.

Over €31.6 million in funding has been allocated by the Higher Education Authority (HEA) to the Integrated NanoScience Platform for Ireland group (INSPIRE) to help improve Ireland’s capability in the field. It is estimated that the value of Irish exports enabled by nanotechnology will exceed €13 billion by 2010.

Ireland is currently ranked sixth in the world regarding their research of nanoscience. The initiative aims to make the country a world leader in research and innovation into nanoscience.

Its applications of the science include use in computer technology, such as trying to make computer components lighter and faster, as well in the health sector for trying to target sick cells in the treatment of cancer.

The ten institutions involved in the scheme are: UCD, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin City University, NUI Galway, University College Cork, Cork Institute of Technology, University of Limerick, University of Ulster and Queen’s University Belfast.

Nanoscience is the study of objects measuring less than 100 nanometres. One nanometre is one million times smaller than a millimetre.