News in Brief

Former UCD Head of Folklore Department Dies

Professor emeritus and former head of the Department of Irish Folklore in UCD, Bo Almqvist, passed away on the November 9th in Dublin after a short illness. He was 82-years-old.

Professor Almqvist was born in Sweden, but moved to Ireland in the early 1970s. He specialised in Scandinavian, Irish folklore, and folk beliefs. He became a major figure in the field of Irish Folklore and he had been widely published on these subjects.

Professor Almqvist is survived by his wife, Éilís, and three adult children, Marja, Ragnar and Olaf. Upon his death, the Irish folklore department released a statement. “The staff of the National Folklore Collection, colleagues and the staff and the Head of the School of Irish, Celtic Studies, Irish Folklore and Linguistics, extend their deepest sympathy to his wife Eilís Ní Dhuibhne, and go to his family. May he rest in peace.”

Researchers develop low-cost method of crime scene evidence collection

Researchers in UCD have created a low-cost device that can aid in the collection of digital and computer data at a crime scene, which may be particularly useful for developing countries or those in which the police force may have a limited budget.

The device, called FIREBRICK, is much cheaper than its commerical rivals and costs $199. It contains features such as data encryption and can be used by police as a pre-processing solution.

Pavel Gladyshev of the Digital Forensics Investigation Research Laboratory (DigitalFIRE), which is based in UCD and part of LERO, the Irish Software Engineering Research Centre, said, “Digital data at crime scenes has an increasingly important role to play in building evidence against criminals or terrorists.”

He added that this device will “help law enforcement agencies access and copy data on hard discs at a fraction of the costs of commercial systems.” Lee Tobin, a LERO researcher at UCD stated that fighting cybercrime was previously the “sole preserve of specialist police squads, but it has now become routine for regional and district police squads to become involved in the detection and analysis of this type of crime.”

UCD and TCD ranked among world’s best business institutions

Eduniversal have placed UCD Smurfit School of Business 48th in their recently released Business School Rankings for 2013.

The Smurfit School of Business’s new ranking shows the school is continuing to build on its recent success where its MBA programme was ranked as one of the best in the world.

In the same rankings, Trinity College Dublin (TCD) came 37th, while the London Business School, followed by Harvard Business School topped the poll. The rankings were released after evaluation on 1,000 business schools in 154 countries had been carried out.

Head of the TCD School of Business, Dr Jim Quinn said that this was a very significant ranking for the college, especially as “the Deans and Directors of the 1,000 best academic institutions worldwide are asked to vote.”

Dr Quinn continued, “Their high rating of our school is an acknowledgement of the international reputation of our research and education programmes along with the quality of our graduates,” while adding that he also felt the ranking was “timely” given the school’s expansion plans for a new state-of-the-art facility to be built by 2017.