News in brief

Economic Development workshop held on UCD campus

Professor Guo Xibao of the Centre for Economic Development Research of Wuhan University (WHU) visited UCD on the 8th of October to discuss the success of the Chinese economy.

The College of Human Sciences welcomed students from all areas of campus to the Global Lounge to hear Professor Chuseng Ye explaining the poverty trap in rural China and the threshold effects of social capital affecting household welfare.

The two visitors from WHU were joined by Professor Ron Davies and Professor Patrick Paul Walsh of UCD to talk about the protection of government procurement auction and how we can use efficiency to build equity in the case of social protection respectively.

The workshop on economic development was planned with the aim of working on a research programme between UCD and Wuhan University in the coming years.

UCD moves up 26 places in university rankings

University College Dublin (UCD) has climbed 26 places from 187 to 161 in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings. Trinity College Dublin (TCD) fell 19 places in the same rankings.

Thirteen indicators, covering five areas, are used to produce a ranking of the top higher education institutions. The key areas are teaching, research, citations, knowledge transfer and international outlook.

The main areas UCD improved upon were publications per academic, citation impact and international co-authorship. UCD President, Dr. Hugh Brady said, “UCD’s climb in the THE rankings is a great credit to our staff who, despite cuts in state income, have worked tirelessly to maintain the high quality experience offered to our students and sustain our world-class research programmes.”

If UCD is to continue to compete with best universities in the world, Brady says it will have to be stressed to “all with a stake in the future of the university, that the State is becoming a minority funder” for the institution.

According to Brady, “[UCD] cannot compete with both hands tied behind its back” as he believes it currently is and that State command of higher education does not work in Ireland, as it has not done in any other country.

NovaUCD project raises $10 million in funding

A new cloud-based service provider, associated with collecting and analysing online data, has raised $10 million in SeriesA financing. The service, known as Logentries, has also named Andrew Burton as President and CEO.

Polaris Partners, RRE ventures, Floodgate and Frontline Ventures led the financing, with Floodgate being the newest member of the investing team. Each of the other firms provided $1 million in 2012 as seed money and Logentries plan to use the funds to speed up the product development process.

Logentries, co-founded by Dr. Trevor Parsons and Dr. Villiam Holub in 2010, currently serves over 10,000 users in more than 100 countries. This graduate company of NovaUCD was the overall winner of the NovaUCD Start-Up Company of the Year award.

Their goal is to “harness the power of log data and make it accessible to anyone” according to Burton. They focus on finding and extracting the individual events that matter most. Logentries has been built on decades of advanced academic research in collaboration with IBM and has already reached the global market.