News in Brief

Planned increase of SUAS computers on campus
Alex Court

THE NUMBER of Stand Up and Surf (SUAS) computers may be increased in certain buildings on campus in the upcoming weeks.

Communications Officer for IT Services, Ms Olivia Jackman commented on the possibility of further SUAS computers being introduced across campus saying that over the next few months, IT Services will be “conducting a full lab and open access PC review” so other that potential areas can be considered for SUAS facilities.

Students’ Union (SU) Education Officer, Paul Lynam welcomed this innovation and stated that there are plans to introduce SUAS computers into the School of Law in Roebuck Castle. He also stated that there may be an increase in SUAS facilities in the Agricultural Science building if the newly installed facilities are well received.

Three computers were installed in the Agricultural Science building earlier in the semester in collaboration with the Programme Office. Six computers were also installed in the Newstead Building during the month of September. Mr Lynam stated that student dependence on and utilisation of these facilities will weight the decision to install more SUAS computers in the buildings.

The first SUAS computers were introduced in the Newman building in 2006. Despite the recent technical faults with the computers, the popularity of this facility amongst students has prompted the recent introduction of new SUAS areas.

UCD rises in world university rankings
Áine Gilligan

AN INTERNATIONAL university review has placed UCD in 108th place in world university rankings, a rise of 69 places compared to previous listings.

The Times Higher Education/Qs World University Rankings, which was published on the 9th October, shows UCD’s position to have risen where it was ranked 177th last year.

The rankings also showed Trinity College Dublin (TCD) increasing its world ranking to 49th compared to 53rd last year. TCD has become the first Irish third-level institution to make it to the top-50 group.

To compile the rankings, over 5,100 academics and almost 1,500 employers were surveyed. Each university is ranked on their performance using certain criteria such as recuitment, international student vis-à-vis national student ratio, international faculty ratio and student facility ratio.

UCD and TCD are the only Irish third-level colleges to qualify for the top 200 while Queens University Belfast is ranked just outside the top 200 however the top ten rankings are still dominated by British and American colleges.

Harvard remains the number one university in the world, followed by Yale and Cambridge respectively. Princeton has dropped out of the top ten and was replaced by the only new entrant, Columbia University, in New York.

Students encouraged to discuss mental health issues.
Alyson Gray

REHAB, a mental health awareness group, are offering students the opportunity to write about their experiences with mental health issues.

Headsup, a suicide prevention project organised by Rehab, are inviting students to write an article discussing various issues that young people face today. Issues such as relationships, suicide, alcohol abuse, drugs, sexuality or any topic that students believe have an impact on the mental health of young people are open for discussion.

The Headsup initiative was launched in August 2005 and encompasses a number of programmes aimed at reducing the high levels of suicide in Ireland among young people, with ages ranging from 15-24.

The Headsup project offers a range of support networks and help lines are available, including a website and a text service which allows people to access their helpline and support services.

Other services include ASIST, a suicide awareness and a intervention training programme, which aims to teach people how to identify and handle those who may have suicidal tendencies.

The title for the article will be “Head wrecked – what’s going on in my head?”. The closing date for entries is October 28th and the successful entrant will receive a Dell laptop and have their article published in the Sunday Independent newspaper.