News in Brief

UCD Choral Scholars ranked 35th in World
UCD Choral Scholars have been ranked 35th in the World Mixed Choral Rankings, decided by INTERKULUR, an international organisation which organises choir events worldwide.

The organisation’s flagship event, the World Choir Games, take place every two years in different partner cities around the world. The singers compete on behalf of their nations in more than 20 different disciplines.
Over 6,300 choirs, made up of a quarter of a million singers and musicians representing a hundred nations, performed in over 120 events organised by INTERKULTUR.
“It is always satisfying for our students to be acknowledged internationally for their work and commitment, especially for the level of preparation they undertake to compete at an international level,” said Desmond Earley, Artistic Director of UCD Choral Scholars and Director (Music) of UCD Ad Astra Academy.
“This tribute belongs to our students, both past and present UCD Choral Scholars, and I would like to thank them for their constant commitment to the standard of performing-arts we espouse here at UCD.”
UCD Choral Scholars is Ireland’s leading collegiate choral ensemble; eighteen students are awarded a scholarship each September following a competitive selection process.

UCD Science Soc Pubcrawl raises €3000
The UCD Science Society held its annual “Pubathon” pub crawl in aid of Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin. The total amount raised was in excess of €3000, with over 630 people attending the event and each ticket costing €9.
Science Soc Auditor Maidhc Healy discussed where the proceeds will go: “The money goes to Crumlin. There is a rollover with all of the money, so through the year we build on our profits, and at the end of the year we present it to Crumlin. It will either go to the St. John’s Cancer Ward or the Cardiac Unit.”
Healy has stated that his main aims going into the pub crawl were: “To try to make it bigger than last year. Last year’s committee had the biggest pub crawl in UCD and we broke that again this year by a good 100 people and probably more. We just tried to make it bigger than last year, and to raise more money.”
Healy added that: “It’s the biggest pub-crawl in UCD history, we’re trying to find out but we’re not sure, it may be the biggest in Ireland, we’re trying to clarify that now.”

UCD energy management spin-out reaches 2012 Seedcorn Regional Finals

Wattics, the University College Dublin energy management spin-out company, has been shortlisted for the InterTradeIreland 2012 Seedcorn Business Competition. The company has been shortlisted for the Dublin Regional final, in the emerging company category.

Headquartered at NovaUCD, the company has developed an innovative ‘smarter metering’ solution to manage and benchmark electrical machines and appliances operating in industrial and commercial sites.
Its solution requires a single meter at the mains to dissemble the total energy consumption by appliance. Wattics has a customer base that includes Pfizer, KPMG, ESB and Dublin Airport.
Wattics was founded by Dr Antonio Ruzzelli, Anthony Schoofs and Alex Sintoni as a spin-out company from UCD’s School of Computer Science and Informatics, and the CLARITY Centre for Sensor Web Technologies.

This InterTradeIreland Equity Network competition, which has a total prize fund of €280,000, was open to all independent companies incorporated in Ireland or Northern Ireland in the seed, start-up or early stages of business development, ideally targeting international markets.
Eight companies have been chosen to the final stage of the competition, which will be held on the 28th of November. Silvercloud Health and Hanpack have been shortlisted in the emerging Company category along with Wattics.