News in Brief

350 students on UCDSU Mystery Tour

Entertainment Officer Eoin Heffernan has declared the UCD Students’ Union’s Mystery run last week a success. He says: “It was very good. Everyone returned home safe which is always a positive and there were no real incidents. A few people maybe over-indulged but sure, it happens, what can you expect?”

Around 350 students bought tickets for the Tour, which made a small profit. This was an increase on previous years, according to Heffernan: “I think the last Mystery Tour that happened, there were only three buses, this year we had six buses so it’s a good building block up to future mystery tours and that.”

There were several safety concerns for Heffernan when organising such an event, and he made a pointed effort to ensure the Tour went off without a hitch by ensuring there was enough security there. “I think we had over 40 stewards and staff on it. It’s better to have too many than too few. There were four stewards on every bus compared to two. It was good… I think the campus services were happy enough with how everything went off.”

The tour started in UCD, where students left for Mantra in Maynooth, before heading to the Market Bar in Longford, where there was food available for everyone. The final venue was in Athlone, and buses began returning to UCD from 1.30am.

USI launch ‘LGBT Ally’ campaign

Yesterday marked the launch of the Union of Students in Ireland’s (USI) national LGBT Ally campaign. The USI are aiming to make people aware of the support people are showing for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) rights, as well as raise awareness of LGBT issues that students in third level education are facing.

The idea for the campaign came from a similar scheme run in University College Cork last year, which had been inspired in the first place by American universities such a New York University and the University of Utah. USI President John Logue says the campaign “is basically going involve any person who is in favour of marriage equality who is not a member of the LGBT community… symbolising their unity with one aim.”

USI Vice-President for Equality and Citizenship Laura Harmon says: “The momentum is building behind campaigns for marriage equality and transgender rights in Ireland and the Union of Students in Ireland is proud to be playing our part in these campaigns.”

The main launch took place in the Blue Room in the Student Centre in UCD and was attended by Aodhán Ó’Ríordáin TD, and Senator Averil Power, while regional launches took place in UCC, WIT, Queen’s University Belfast and St. Angela’s College Sligo. The launch involved a video screening featuring a speech from Whoopi Goldberg and Avan Jogi.

DramSoc Auditor resigns

Following a meeting headed by the Chair of the Societies Council on Monday the 24th of September, it was announced by Dramsoc that the Auditor of the 86th Session, Enda Reilly, had resigned. This came just after a report that the society had achieved a membership of 1024 students during Freshers’ Week, a rise on last year’s figure.

While no official reason have been given for the resignation, allegations have been made by society members that this was prompted by a surprise vote of no confidence due to “lack of leadership”, though the unanimous verdict needed to impeach was not reached.

Enda Reilly refused to comment on the reasons for his resignation. Acting DramSoc Auditor and Treasurer Cathal Moroney stated that those making these allegations were “misinformed”, but refused to comment further.

Nominations to for the position of Auditor closed yesterday, Monday October 1st, at 5pm. A Term General Meeting and Special General Meeting have been called for 3pm tomorrow, Wednesday 3rd, at which the new Auditor will be elected.

Government Announce ‘Youth Guarantee Scheme’ for EU Presidency

The government will use the European Union presidency next year to continue plans for a “youth guarantee” project aimed at getting young unemployed people and graduates automatically directed into employment, training or education.
Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton has said she will use nextJanuary’s presidency of the EU to help deliver proposals for the new scheme, targeted at unemployed under 25s.

Figures from Eurostat, the European statistics agency, show a 30% unemployment rate among 18-24 year olds in Ireland.
According to the proposed plans, the government would fund apprenticeships, training or further education for young people out of work for four months or longer. Burton said she would be hosting a meeting of other European ministers in charge of social protection next February, and would be working “flat out” to continue the plan. “If the EU is to return to its founding mission, then it has to rebalance to include a really linked-up focus on how young people transition from school and college into the world of work,” says Ms Burton.
Solas, the new agency to replace FÁS, has training and apprenticeship opportunities available to the public and, through vocational committees, will be responsible for the funding and co-ordination of further education and training.

UCD’s International College in Beijing receives Government Approval
The Chinese Ministry for Education has given its approval to the joint venture between Beijing University of Technology (BJIT) and University College Dublin (UCD) to establish the Beijing-Dublin International College in Beijing, in September.
The approval means recognition of degrees in China and graduates will be awarded to both UCD and Chinese qualifications.
The plan to establish an international college in China received support from the Mayor of Beijing, Guo Jinlong, and was backed by the Minister for Education and Skills, Ruairi Quinn, during Mr Jinlong’s visit to Dublin.
The contract was signed by President of UCD, Dr Hugh Brady, and Professor Guo Guangsheng, President of BJUT, and witnessed by An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny.
Degree programmes include software engineering and a programme based on electronic engineering and communications technologies.
In UCD 20% (5,000) of the student population are international students and drawn from over 100 nations.
Speaking at the recent conference of the European Association of International Education (EAIE), Dr Brady said: “It is essential for a small open economy such as Ireland that its universities are at the vanguard of internationalisation in higher education and are supported fully by government in this endeavour.”

USI Launch Student Finance Guide and Sexual Education Road Show
The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) recently launched the Student Finance Guide for Irish college students. Entitled ‘Money Matters: USI Student Finance Guide’, the guide was launched in IT Tallaght on the 21st September.
The Student Finance Guide contains expert advice on budget management and maintaining savings. The guide includes user-friendly balance sheets, which allows students to keep weekly budgets to monitor their income and expenditure.
The USI also launched its Sexual Health Education road-show at NUI Maynooth. The road-show intends to educate college students about their sexual health for the benefit of themselves and others.
From September to December, the road-show will visit four campuses, along with starting an online awareness campaign. Various attractions will be held for students including educational and interactive stands.
Irish Contraception and Crisis Pregnancy study reports show that 80% of 18-25 year olds use contraception, but of the 20% who did not, reasons for this include unplanned sex and the consumption of alcohol and drugs.
The HSE Crisis Pregnancy Programme recently began a new phase to their Think Contraception campaign entitled ‘Johnny’s got you covered’. This scheme is aimed at promoting the use of condoms during sex.

Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton has said she will use next January’s presidency of the EU to help deliver proposals for the new scheme, targeted at unemployed under 25s. Figures from Eurostat, the European statistics agency, show a 30% unemployment rate among 18-24 year olds in Ireland.

The approval means recognition of degrees in China and graduates will be awarded to both UCD and Chinese qualifications. The plan to establish an international college in China received support from the Mayor of Beijing, Guo Jinlong, and was backed by the Minister for Education and Skills, Ruairi Quinn, during Mr Jinlong’s visit to Dublin.
In UCD 20% (5,000) of the student population are international students and drawn from over 100 nations. Speaking at the recent conference of the European Association of International Education (EAIE), Dr Brady said: “It is essential for a small open economy such as Ireland that its universities are at the vanguard of internationalisation in higher education and are supported fully by government in this endeavour.”