News In Brief

USI attempt to break world record

The Union of Students In Ireland (USI) is working with the organisation See Change and with Students’ Unions across Dublin to beat the Guinness World Record for ‘most people to contribute to a story’ in an effort to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health.

On October 26th, students from participating colleges in Dublin will come to Trinity College between 10am and 8pm to sign a line in a scroll donated by the Irish Times. The story will be one surrounding mental health, with each line being projected on a screen for clarity.

A Guinness World Record Official will be present throughout the day to monitor progress and notify the students as to whether their efforts were a success.

See Change is an organisation that works to reduce the stigma around mental health. The organisation will be helping to pay the cost of the initiative.

UCD Students’ Union Welfare Officer, Rachel Breslin, will be organising a time and place where UCD students who want to participate will gather before going in together.

Breslin stresses the importance of attending the event, “it would be great if we could get all the SUs in Dublin sending people because it shows that we’re all co-operating and that mental health is something we can work together towards”.

Asian Placements Offered to Irish Graduates

One thousand placements in Asian companies, colleges and language schools are being offered to Irish business students. Chairman of the programme, Fred Combe, likened the scheme to a Masters programme which injected Irish talent into Asia.

Combe believes Mandarin to be the “language of the future”, which is why those partaking in the programme will be intensively involved with the language for nine months. Beijing, Singapore, Indonesia, India, Malaysia and Dubai will all play host to Irish graduates.

This is part of the scheme to expand the Farmleigh Fellowship Program initiative; international companies have offered €400,000 and the Government has offered €200,000 as a part of the expansion.

The scheme is run through University College Cork (UCC) with Denis O’Brien, Liam Casey and Terry Clune all being key sponsors.

Co-founder of Singapore-based pharmaceutical company DPS, Gerry Creaner stated that the Irish “already know how to do business in Europe and the US, the next generation must learn how to do it in Asia”.

Businessman and sponsors, Denis O’Brien, echoed Mr. Creaner’s sentiments, stating that Asia was the “next United States”.

Keith Wood visits UCD

Students studying the Rugby Management Scheme of Sport and Exercise Management took part in a question and answer session with former Lions and Ireland hooker Keith Wood earlier this month. Woods’ visit marked the introduction of the first module of the Rugby Management Scheme.

Director of the UCD Centre for Sport Studies, Dr John Shuttleworth, explains the purpose of the programme, “this unique programme is for professional players seeking to upgrade existing qualifications, players planning retirement at the end of this season who wish to remain in rugby in a management capacity, and those rugby club management personnel wishing to enhance their management skill set”.

He continued to say that the programme, which is supported, amongst others, by the IRFU and Leinster Rugby, “also supports community rugby club management which relies on a range of personnel, both volunteers and professionals, who may wish to take advantage of one or more modules focused on their specific role within the club”.

The programme is compatible with Irish players as well as those from other nations, who want to develop their studies before or after retirement.