News in Brief

ELS launch annual magazine

UCD’s English Literary Society has published its annual magazine of stories, poems, plays and “much more”.

Students write The Bell magazine in its entirety and all students are encouraged to make submissions each year.

Society committee member Sebastian Jahne told The University Observer: “We are mainly publishing poetry and short prose by students, who are members of the ELS. This year, students studying Arts, Science, Engineering and Commerce submitted [work]. Thus, there is a great variety in the submitted pieces.”

Jahne added that there is no submission requirement apart from the length of each submission and that the author must be a member of the ELS.

Jahne said of the title: “The name The Bell is firstly connected to the bell that is standing in front of Tierney Building. Secondly, it was thought to be a good link to UCD, as a reference to Belfield. Past ELS magazines already carried that name, so it is also sort of a tradition.”

The magazine is currently on sale in the Newman building at a cost of €4.50.

Mural painted for Welfare Fortnight

Welfare Week 2 took place on campus last week, bringing UCDSU’s Welfare Fortnight 2010 to a close.

Students’ Union Welfare Vice-President Scott Ahern stated that he was particularly proud of the interactive mural wall, the brainchild of a second-year class rep. He believed that the breakfast mornings in different buildings were key to the campaign’s success, as they allowed him to create awareness about his office, the welfare crew and student support staff.

Welfare Week is usually held for the duration of one week of term: this year it was extended to encompass a fortnight. Ahern explained that “sometimes the five-day weeks don’t work and people have always said that campaign weeks don’t start on Mondays and end on Fridays, you have to expand it. I wanted to test that theory.”

Numerous events took place across campus including breakfast mornings in various buildings, a petting zoo at the Student Centre and a Note-to-Self campaign that encouraged students to write positive letters to themselves that will be delivered to them in three months time.

Ahern said that by scheduling the events over two weeks, he was able to focus on increasing turnout. He believed that having a previous year in office was beneficial with regard to organising this year’s campaign: “The second year has definitely benefitted me in terms of being more aware of other events and other contacts and different things.”

“I want people to know who I am, where I am and how I can help them. That’s all I wanted to do and I think it’s gone quite well.”

Arts Week raises €2,000 for charity.

The first-ever Arts Week was held in week ten and raised €2,000 for St. John’s Ward in Crumlin Children’s Hospital.

Vice- Auditor of Arts Society Edel Ní Churraoin was pleased with the outcome of the week, saying “it has given people a chance to get more involved in Arts and promoted a sense of community spirit within the Newman Building, while raising money for a worthwhile cause.”

Various events were held throughout the week including a table quiz held in association with the Inclusion Participation Awareness Society (IPA), Social Science karaoke night and “Slushee your Sabbat and Society Auditor Glee Style.”

Tuesday was labelled ‘Languages Day’, with a Treasure Hunt being held in the afternoon followed by and appearance by Howard Marks in the Astra Hall that evening.

The debate scheduled for Thursday, “The Awkward Silence when an Arts Student Talks About their Future Prospects” was postponed, as a guest was unable to attend.’The awkward Silence when an Arts Student talks about their Future prospects ‘The awkward Silence when an Arts Student talks about their Future prospects

Ní Churraoin did not feel that the week was held too close to end-of-semester exams, stating that other weeks were unsuitable as midterms for Arts students begin in week four and end in week nine, making week ten the quietest of the semester.

The fundraising week was held in semester one “as it allows more people to be involved in the events that are planned for semester two,” says Ní Churraoin.

Sarah Doran