News in Brief

Scavenger hunt winners announced

The Students’ Union first scavenger hunt came to a close on October 25th.

Despite having a significant number of original competitors, only four entrants submitted their efforts before last Monday’s deadline.

UCDSU Campaigns and Communications Vice-President Pat de Brún believes this low turnout was as a result of the deadline for the competition being too far into the school year.

The prize for first place is an Ents gold ticket, which allows the student free access to all Ents events throughout the year. Second place wins tickets to all of the seasonal balls, while third and fourth secure two tickets each to the Halloween ball.

The scavenger hunt was aimed at first years to allow them “explore the grounds” of UCD. The tasks included getting a picture with Hugh Brady, licking the Ents Officer and getting published in The University Observer.

The initiative’s designer, Campaigns and Communications Officer Pat de Brún, was ‘’absolutely delighted’’ with the outcome of the competition.

Michael Smurfit School ranked 31st in MBA rankings

The Economist has ranked UCD’s Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School 31st in its annual list of the world’s leading full-time MBA programmes.

The magazine chose 132 leading business schools from around the globe to participate in a two-stage survey, which required the opinions of the schools themselves as well as students and alumni.

Of these 132 schools, only 115 were ranked as the remaining 17 schools were either unwilling to take part, provided insufficient data or had no full-time programme.

Trinity School of Business was not ranked as it had failed to provide sufficient information.

The ranking was based on the school’s ability to open career opportunities (35 per cent), the educational experience and personal development (35 per cent), the increase in salary that came about as a result of graduating from the programme (20 per cent) and the potential to network (10 per cent).

Professor Tom Begley, Dean of UCD Smurfit School, expressed delight that “the School’s full-time MBA programme continues to rank amongst the global elite”.

Welfare Crew forms Welfare Council

SU Welfare Officer Scott Ahearn has allocated an informal budget to his Welfare Crew.

Members of the Crew proposed ideas suggesting how the money could be spent at the first-ever Welfare Council held on Wednesday the October 27th.

Proposals included a mural wall, a ‘Kleenex couch’ outside the library and renting out bear costumes to give out hugs in order to spread the “message of comfort,” according to Ahearn.

After a vote of Welfare Council, it was decided that the mural wall and bringing in a hypnotist would go ahead. However, Ahearn insists that the other ideas, including a question and answer session on suicide, will also be implemented.

Approximately €1500 has been allocated to this idea, though Ahearn insists that the amount is informal. He added that he wants to “engage with peoples’ ideas” and will hence initiate the voted-on plans through his budget.

These ideas will be implemented during Welfare fortnight in mid-November.