News in Brief

A first in funding for UCD Confucius Institute

A new flagship building for the UCD Confucius Institute for Ireland is to be jointly financed by the Government of Ireland and the Government of the People’s Republic of China.

According to the government press office, the institute, which opened in 2006, “will be the first Confucius Institute internationally to receive capital funding from the Chinese Authorities”.

The funding was confirmed in September following an official visit to Ireland by Mr. Li Changchun, a member of the Standing Committee of Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC).

The Institute, whose mission statement is “to work with the Irish government, businesses and academia to develop stronger educational, cultural and commercial links between Ireland and China,” offers Chinese language courses, promotes the Chinese language and culture in Ireland and organises educational events in UCD to promote further understanding of China and its people.

The building of the new centre will allow the Institute to continue to establish academic links with Chinese establishments such as Renmin University China, which is the Confucius Institute’s founding partner.

The Institute’s website states that the new building will be built “at a privileged site on UCD Belfield campus” and will be inspired by “China’s rich architectural heritage”.

Healthy Cooking Competition launched

This year’s Healthy Cooking Competition has been launched as part of Health Week which occurred on campus last week.

The competition is a joint venture between the UCD Health Promotion Committee and the UCDSU, and was launched on the Healthy Eating Day of Health Week.

The launch consisted of a talk and demonstration by Cooks Academy as part of the ‘How to’ series. UCDSU Welfare Vice President, Scott Ahearn, said that the aim was to show students “how to cook on a balanced budget and how to cook healthily”.

The competition will have a similar format to last year’s, with the final taking place in semester two and those recipes shortlisted are to be included in the 2011-12 Student Cookbook.

Interest was high in the competition this year with between 100 and 150 application forms being handed out at the launch. “I’d love to see 50 or 70 students take part,” said Ahearn. “If we can get around 20 or 30 students to actively take part in the cooking competition it would be fantastic”.

Halloween Ball at the Academy

The annual Halloween Ball is to take place in the Academy with Digitalism as the headline act.

UCDSU Ents Vice-President Jonny Cosgrove told The University Observer: “Digitalism are playing this year so it’s a really big headliner. It’s in the Academy on the 29th of October and we’re looking for a really spooky night. There’s about 1,100 tickets going on sale, so that’ll sell out pretty quick.”

The ball is a Hallowen-themed fancy dress night, with a cash prize for the best dressed on the night and two free tickets to the premier of Jackass 3D.

Tickets go on sale this Monday and are available from all SU outlets and on the Students’ Union website. Tickets cost €15.