New Laureate for Irish Fiction set to lecture at UCD

Anne Enright, the Man Booker award-winning author, is set to become Ireland’s first Fiction Laureate. Awarded by the Arts Council of Ireland, the three year position will see Enright aiming to promote Irish literature through a mixture of public events, while continuing to write.

As part of her position, Enright will teach classes in creative writing in UCD. Currently, UCD offers both a highly sought after undergraduate module and a master’s degree in the discipline of creative writing. She will also lecture in New York University as part of her tenure as Laureate, while being provided with a grant of €50,000 each year, by the Arts Council, in order to fulfill her role.

Enright studied for a degree in English and Philosophy from Trinity College Dublin. She later earned an MA in Creative Writing from the University of East Anglia, and worked as an RTE television producer, before devoting herself to full time writing in 1991. At present, she lives in Bray, Co. Wicklow, with her family.

Works by Enright include The Wig My Father Wore, What Are You Like? and The Gathering, for which she won the Man Booker prize in 2007. Previous Irish recipients of the Booker Prize include Iris Murdoch, Roddy Doyle and John Banville.

The Irish Arts Council provides support across the country for all elements of artistic endeavour. They list involvement in architecture, the circus, and education among many other projects. The Irish Exchequer provided funds of €56.9 million to the Council in 2015 to support the arts.