National News in Brief

Trinity College Dublin to undergo rebrand

Ireland’s oldest university, Trinity College Dublin (TCD), are considering changing their name to create a more globally appealing university. The rebranding will include a new logo and name, but the Trinity name itself will still be an essential part of the new brand.

It was decided that the confusion abroad over whether Trinity is actually a university or a college, which has different connotations in different parts of the world, necessitated a change.

Trinity Provost, Dr Patrick Prendergast said that although it has a strong reputation and identity, Trinity isn’t a global brand. Comparing it to the likes of Cambridge, Oxford, the aim of the rebrand is to increase the reputation of the institution.

TCD Professor Vinny Cahill commented that recent international university rankings, in which TCD dropped 19 places, are a “wake-up call” for Irish Higher Education.

Dr Prendergast commented about the rebranding saying that “anything was possible… Ireland knows Trinity College is a university, but do people in Shanghai know that?” Discussions over a rebrand are ongoing.

DITSU considering installation of ‘puppy room’

The proposed “puppy rooms” at Dublin Institute of Technology may become a reality, as DIT Students’ Union (DITSU) look for a method to counteract stress around exam time. The idea was originally put before the Student Council in a ‘mock motion’.

Despite this, it garnered interest and so DITSU vice-president for Welfare, Fiachra Duffy, decided to look into the idea, with the possibility of creating a temporary facility so that students can go and play with puppies as a way to relieve stress from exam pressure.

A similar idea was put in place in UCD during Mental Health week when UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) Vice-President for Welfare, Cian Dowling, brought in a kitten for a similar purpose. While in 2010, former UCDSU Welfare Officer, Scott Ahern, brought a petting zoo to UCD Campus as part of a mental health awareness week.

The concept of introducing a puppy room has been touted in other universities and has proved very successful in places such as the Univeristy of Aberdeen, Scotland.

UL journalism student awarded the Irish Times Best Journalism Award

Ruth O’Shaughnessy has been awarded the Irish Times Best Journalism Award by the Irish Times Editor, Kevin O’Sullivan. O’Shaughnessy was presented with the award for her work on the implementation of the European Globalisation fund at Dell, a grant given in 2009 of €14.8 million to help former workers at Dell in Limerick to find new jobs when it was announced that 1,900 jobs would be lost over a period of 12 months in the Limerick plant.

An academically accomplished journalist, O’Shaughnessy is a Limerick native and an internationally experienced industry professional in global sourcing and supply chain management. She graduated from the University of Limerick (UL) Journalism and New Media with Spanish and Economics and is currently studying for a MSc in Economic Analysis at the Kemmy Business School in UL.

A talk was also given by Mr O’Sullivan during his visit to journalism and business students at the University on the topic of ‘The Journalist in the Multimedia Era’. Chairing a questions and answers session after the event, Dr Stephen Kinsella said that “O’Sullivan was refreshingly honest about the challenges publications like the Irish Times will encounter in the future, which made the discussion much more focused and helpful.”