National News in Brief

CIT Lecturers Criticise Cutbacks

Education cutbacks are having a “detrimental effect” on Cork Institute of Technology(CIT), according to a group of lecturers who have voiced their annoyance at what they see as the deterioration of conditions to the Department of Education. Chair of the CIT branch of the Teachers’ Union of Ireland (TUI) , Cillian Ó Súilleabháin, says that the lecturers are “over-worked and under-paid.”

According to TUI, since 2008, CIT has seen a fall of 11.4% in its academic staff, losing 74 of its 649 full-time lecturers. This is despite the fact CIT has seen an increase in student enrolment by 9.5%, or 899 students. They claim that this has led to a 40% increase in workload for staff who have received sizeable pay cuts over the same period of time.

CIT has also seen a decrease in funding; which fell by 18.4%, or €13.5m, between the years of 2008 and 2012. Further cuts are expected when the Higher Education Authority allocates its reduced funding from the Department of Education.

~

Independent Review of DITSU Ltd

The Edition are reporting that there will be a review into the operations of Dublin Institute of Technology Students’ Union (DITSU) Ltd, so as to determine whether or not the company is “operating in line with its articles of memorandum.”

This investigation comes as a reaction to a board meeting that took place during the summer that ended in resignation of the Chairperson and External Director of the Board.

Director of Student Services, Dr Noel O’Connor, said of that “DIT is satisfied that DITSU is taking appropriate action to ensure that it is fully compliant with its constitution in all matters of governance.”

The board meeting saw DITSU President Glenn Fitzpatrick put forward a motion to have a sub-committee investigate the performance of the company and the benefits it provides to DIT students.

UL launches key research project

An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, launched the University of Limerick’s (UL) Bernal Project last week. Kenny said at the launch of the project that it is “the development that Ireland needs…for inward investment and jobs in research and development”. The project will be directed by ten of the world’s leading academics in the field and the new facility will be chaired by Professor Mike Zaworotko, who is considered one of the world’s top twenty chemists.

Speaking of the project, Prof Zaworotko said that he believes UL “is close to a unique opportunity…to turn ideas and inventions into products.” The project will be housed in a new building, scheduled to be complete in two years. The building work will provide 150 construction jobs and up to 75 multinational researchers will be employed to manage the project.

The UL Foundation has committed €36 million to the project, the majority of which is funded by Atlantic Philanthropies, the remainder from the state and university funds. UL President, Don Barry, says it “will stimulate the development of high-end industry.”