National News in Brief

Pulp Fiction Kerry Shtyle wins Norton award.

Graham Norton was at the Institute of Technology in Tralee on the 19th of September to present two fourth year students, David Williams and Eoin O’Leary, with the inaugural Graham Norton Creativity Award.

Their video, Pulp Fiction Kerry Shtyle, has been seen over 600,000 times on YouTube. The video features the acting of John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson, dubbed with Kerry accents. The video was aired on The Graham Norton Show and even impressed Quentin Tarantino who appeared on the show that night.

Norton thanked the 400-strong student crowd for the “amazing welcome”. He praised the creators of the video saying that “it was a great idea, plus a lot of luck, plus excellence. It was really well done. The use of technology in conjunction with creativity to make the idea as good as possible”. The award is now to be presented annually in Tralee.

UCC ‘quiet’ and alcohol free housing programme.

UCC is thinking of offering ‘quiet’ housing blocks after three people signed up to its new alcohol-free accommodation. The three candidates will be living in the college-run Victoria Lodge complex, where they will meet each other and sign up to the alcohol-free programme.

The programme is being run by UCC Health Matters and UCC Campus Accommodation, who said they are happy with the uptake. A spokesperson said in continuation of the programme that “limited advertising of alcohol-free accommodation is likely to take place again after Christmas for students who may not be happy with their current type of accommodation or have a renewed interest following their initial query.”

“The next peak time for uptake of accommodation of this nature will of course be roughly this time next year.” They have also begun looking into the possibility of a designated quiet housing block.  This gives students a range of preferences for academic, religious or ‘typical’ college choices.

‘The Beatles in 12 Movements’ marks 50th anniversary.

To mark the 50th anniversary of the only two Beatles concerts in the Republic of Ireland at the Adelphi Cinema, Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is hosting a series of 12 lectures called ‘The Beatles in 12 Movements’. It is being run by TCD’s School of English with the Trinity Long Room Hub.

All 12 albums will be covered over 12 weeks. Speakers range from TCD academics, across a range of disciplines, to significant cultural figures like singer Donovan, Ross O’Carroll-Kelly author Paul Howard and Gerry Harrison, the assistant director of the Beatles’ ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ film.

The lecture series is open to the public. The first lecture took place on Monday the 23rd of September and was delivered by Professor Mike Grenfell, Professor of Education, TCD. He discussed the Beatles first album ‘Please Please Me’. A fine balance between music and chat was enjoyed.

One of the event planners, Professor Darryl Jones said, “November 7th, 2013 is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ only concert in the Republic of Ireland, an event which Paul McCartney described as like coming home.

“McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison all had strong Irish roots. Given that their achievements touched all corners of cultural life, what better way to commemorate this than to get together a group of distinguished speakers, from all areas of the arts and academia, to discuss the Beatles and their legacy?”