National News In Brief

Trinity’s Gender Equality Society banned from marching on abortion

The Central Societies Committee (CSC) halted all political advocacy activity by the Dublin University Gender Equality Society (DUGES). The instruction, made over the weekend by the CSC, led to DUGES pulling out of the march in memory of Savita Halppanavar on Saturday.

The move comes after a DUGES representative group attended both the Wednesday night vigil for Halappanavar at the Dáil, and last month’s March for Choice.

Society chair Polly Dennison has stated that CSC was “cracking down” on the abortion issue. Further communication at the end of the week and weekend led DUGES to postpone all campaigning, including their engagement with the “Don’t Be That Guy Campaign”.

CSC secretary David Doyle said that the CSC had stated “that DUGES may advertise marches to its members” and that members, as individuals, “may attend such marches under the DUGES banner.” He confirmed, however, that the society may not “espouse a corporate opinion” on a political issue.

TCDSU does not currently have a mandate advocating a position on reproductive rights, although it does have a schedule ten, long-term policy about providing information on abortion.

Robbery at DCU bookstore

Two men escaped with a sum of money following an armed robbery of a cash-in transit van outside a Hodges Figgis bookstore in DCU on Thursday afternoon, November 22nd.

Gardai have opened investigations into the robbery in which at least one of the men were armed and resulting with €1,000 in cash being stolen.

“A woman came running into the shop…saying ‘Has anybody taken security because there’s a robbery happening outside right now?'” an employee of the book store told DCU FM. The armed man is reported to have screamed “Shoot him” to his accomplice, it is also reported.

The incident occurred at around 1.45pm as shop takings were being moved from the campus bookshop to a secure cash-in-transit van, the bookshop confirmed.

No one is reported as having been injured. Gardaí and DCU security arrived on the scene shortly after the robbery occurred. Special Branch Gardaí are investigating the incident.

Bill Clinton presents UL students with scholarships

Former U.S President Bill Clinton was invited to Limerick by businessman JP McManus as guest of honour at the All Ireland Scholarship Awards, where he presented 125 students from across Ireland with bursaries worth €6,750 for each year of their studies, sponsored by McManus.

Among the VIP guests were businessmen Denis O’Brien and Dermot Desmond; chairperson of the American Ireland Fund Loretta Brennan Glucksman; Northern Ireland Minister for Employment and Learning Dr Stephen Farry; and Northern Ireland Minister for Education John O’Dowd.

Minister for Finance Michael Noonan was also present, along with Housing Minister Jan O’Sullivan, Fianna Fail Deputy Willie O’Dea, Dr. Martin McAleese, and Don Barry, President of the University of Limerick.

During his speech, Clinton recalled how he was a scholarship recipient himself, which he said had enabled him to study at Oxford and Yale universities. Clinton reminded the recipients that recession will come and go, but their education will endure, adding: “Nobody ever got anywhere by expecting tomorrow to be like yesterday.”