National News in Brief – 18/02/2014

Dublin Universities may revise entrance criteria for Northern Irish students

Several Dublin universities may change their admission requirements to make them more accessible for Northern Irish students. Northern Irish students make up just over 1% of the Republic of Ireland’s university system.

Under the current system, the most popular courses in the Republic’s universities are inaccessible to many students from the North, and now Trinity College Dublin (TCD) and Dublin City University (DCU) are looking to improve accessibility for these potential undergraduates.

The problem arises due to the comparison of two different exam systems. While Leaving Certificate students study at least six subjects, most Northern Irish students only take three A-level subjects. Despite this, many of the Republic’s courses require students to study at least 4 A-level subjects.

This means that students who earned the highest possible grade in 3 A-level subjects in 2013 would not have met the minimum entry requirements for UCD courses such as science, law or engineering.

TCD’s Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Dr Patrick Geoghan, said that he would like his university to consider a new scoring system for Northern Irish students. DCU has gone further, stating that it is exploring “a special entry route mechanism for Northern Ireland students.”

Computer thief caught in “comical situation”

A DCU student convicted of stealing computers told the court he wanted to use them to create his own game called “Angry Pigs” to compete with the well-known Angry Birds gaming application.

In December 2012, DCU security guards found Femi Adekele and another man taking computer equipment from the computer labs. In an attempt to evade the security guards, Femi Adekele and his friend chose to jump out of a window.

Adekele sustained a broken leg in the jump and his accomplice ran ahead, leaving Adekele overnight in a bush. The accomplice came back and attempted a rescue the next day, carrying the injured party away in a wheelbarrow, only to be stopped by security guards again.

Hearing the story in Dublin Criminal Court, Judge Martin Nolan remarked that he thought it was a “comical situation.”

Adekele, of The Maiston, Ballymun, pleaded guilty to attempted burglary at DCU, Glasnevin Avenue, on December 1st and December 22nd, 2012. The engineering student had no previous criminal record and was given a suspended sentence of two years.

GMIT Announces New Head of Mayo Campus

The Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology has appointed Dr Deirdre Garvey as the new head of its Mayo Campus. Dr Garvey began working in the GMIT Castlebar campus as a senior lecturer in 2008 and was responsible for the GMIT’s Lifelong Learning area.

Dr Garvey joined the university after working as a strategic specialist in the Irish Management Institute (IMI). She also has worked in connection with the US and European companies, previously working for Microsoft, where she managed an international strategic outsourcing team, and the US service provider Stream.

After receiving an undergraduate degree from the IMI, Dr Garvey went on to receive a Masters degree from the UCD Smurfit Business School and a postgraduate degree from TCD. She has also worked in an associate capacity with such institutions as The Open University, Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) and Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT).

Speaking after her appointment, Dr Garvey said that the campus’ 20th year anniversary will be a milestone year. She also emphasised the campus’ contributions and collaborations with both the region and external organisations are fundamental to its future progression.