Musical Society auditor resigns mid-tenure

UCD Musical Society’s preparations for the upcoming semester were thrown off course during the Christmas break when the auditor Eoghan McNeill resigned.

The University Observer has learned that McNeill resigned stating personal reasons, tendering his resignation to the society’s committee over the Christmas break.

As a result of the unexpected nature of the resignation and the need for an urgent appointment, rather than hold an election, the society’s committee appointed the new auditor, Aifric Nugent, in the immediate aftermath of McNeill’s departure.

Nugent emphasised that she intends to continue the work of her predecessor. Speaking to The University Observer, she said: “I have no intention to change the society’s plans for the remainder of the year, I simply hope to continue to build on the success we as a society have had so far.”

The society is currently preparing for the upcoming UCD Community Musical – an adaptation of Gabrielle Suzanne Barbot dem Villeneuve’s classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast which they are producing in collaboration with the UCD Community Musical committee. The event is to be held over four days in February in UCD’s O’Reilly Hall.

Formed in 2009, the UCD Musical Society previously collaborated with the UCD Community Musical on last year’s Footloose. The Musical Society itself has also produced two successful musicals, The Wedding Singer and Little Shop of Horrors, independently during its time as a society.