Musical proceeds going to UCD based charity

THE UCD Community Musical will be donating proceeds from the event to UCD based charity. Although the charity involved is unconfirmed, Vice President for Students, Dr Martin Butler said that he has discussed the deal with the UCD Saint Vincent de Paul society (SVP).

Dr Butler explained that he has explored options of allocating one performance to the UCD SVP to aid the charity in inviting people and therefore raising awareness of the charity. However, this is yet to be discussed with the Musical Steering Group.

Producer for the UCD Community Musical, Eoin Kilkenny is confident that while a sponsor has yet to be confirmed, those involved in last year’s production are interested in supporting the musical again.
“There has been talks with our sponsors from last year and they are very positive about sponsoring us again… given the unpredictable economic climate we are not asking them to commit until we need it closer to the show”.

At the moment, Mr Kilkenny is focusing on the upcoming auditions for the musical and was upbeat about last year’s production describing the feedback they received as “incredible”.

“Last year was meant to be a one-off but it was mainly because of the amazing feedback… that we even decided (to organise a second musical)”, explained Mr Kilkenny. “It’s all a learning curve from last year and we wouldn’t be doing it again if there was no positive reaction from it”.

Auditions for the main cast of the musical will be taking place on the 7th and 9th October. Students can also apply for backstage positions such as lighting, sound, visuals, costumes, stage crew and set design.
Mr Kilkenny pointed out that there was no requirements for the backstage positions, adding that “we’re open to staff and students for every position and everyone will be considered fairly”.

He added that he encourages students to try out saying that “no-one is out to embarrass anyone or anything like that in the auditions. It’s all just about having a laugh and that’s what we’re here for, that’s what any society or group is here for and just giving it a try would be the most important thing”.

When asked about the number of people involved with the final production, Mr Kilkenny estimated that the number would range from “approximately a hundred, putting cast and crew together”.

Performances will run from 19th to 21st February 2009 in O’Reilly Hall. The musical performed will be ‘Guys and Dolls’.

The first Community Musical, which was performed last year, received five nominations in the Association of Irish Musical Societies awards including best choreography and best overall show for its production of ‘West Side Story’.