Montrose Student Accommodation unavailable for September move in

A development delay of approximately two months has resulted in students being unable to move into new student accommodation currently being developed on the site of the old Montrose Hotel.

The €22.5 million project, which will see the former hotel converted into privately owned student accommodation, was due to near completion this month, with some work due to continue throughout the autumn months.

Speaking to The University Observer, UCDSU  President Feargal Hynes said the union was informed that that 59 of the 166 rooms in the complex would not be available by the start of  term in September.

While the situation is not ideal at this time of year, when accommodation is already in short supply, Hynes is confident in the response of  Ziggurat, the management company behind the accommodation.

‘From the beginning the management team has been very open and good in dealing with the delays faced by students. They fully understand the issues facing students in the coming weeks’ explained Hynes. While work continues on the Montrose site students are to be housed in accommodation around the city centre, the cost of which will be covered by the company.

While the issue regards student accommodation owned by an external body, and thus outside the Students Union jurisdiction, Hynes has stressed that the union is available to assist students when an issue is raised. Last night Hynes opened the SU’s accommodation email account for those requiring assistance to contact them.

Update:

In statement sent to The University Observer on Monday morning Georgina Wade, property manager for the Montrose accommodation, explained that despite the company’s best intentions work on the complex has been delayed. ‘Despite our best efforts, the opening of two floors of the Montrose Student Residence will be delayed, due to an unanticipated level of work required to bring a very old building up to the high standards we demand’ explained Wade.

Students have been made aware of the current situation and also informed of the compensation package that has been put in place according to Wade. The compensation package made available includes first month free rent, €200 per week compensation, alternative accommodation paid for by Ziggurat and a year’s subscription to their choice of a music or movie service.

Wade concluded: ‘We’re confident that we can resolve the issue quickly, and to everyone’s satisfaction. We consulted with the Students Union in UCD, and the Accommodation Officer, and both were more than satisfied with the offers we are making to the affected students.’