L&H named UCD Society of the Year

The Literary & Historical Society have been named UCD Society of the Year for the 2008/09 academic year. The Society, which retained its status at the largest student society on campus at this year’s Freshers’ Week, was chaired by Ian Hastings last year.

IMG_21651-199x300Current auditor Conor McAndrew said that the Society were “delighted” with the prize. The society’s activities last year included inviting numerous celebrity guests such as The Who frontman Roger Daltrey, actor Alan Rickman and professional skateboarder Tony Hawk to UCD to be awarded the society’s James Joyce Award and to address students.

The L&H also hosted debates on topics ranging from pornography to abortion, as well as Maidens debates (open to students who have not debated at intervarsity level before) and comedy debates.

McAndrew credited Hastings and last year’s committee for the achievement, telling The University Observer that the award “was a reflection of the hard work of last year’s committee and Auditor.” When asked if the society’s achievements put pressure on successive committees of the L&H to replicate earlier achievements, McAndrew commented that “I think that we always aim to do the best we can, so really it’s not so much pressure as a sign that we are doing well, and will do well in the future.”

Other awards announced included Small Society of the Year, which was awarded to the UCD Games Society (GameSoc). GameSoc Auditor, Rory Heffernan, said that the idea to apply for the award had been pitched last year as “the society had been growing in strength for the previous few years,” and that GameSoc “knew pretty early on that [last year] was going to be one of the best years of the society’s history.”

Heffernan stated that the allocade was “an acknowledgement of the vast amount of time and effort that was put into the society last year.” As well as crediting last year’s committee, Heffernan wished “to mention the members of the society who weren’t on the committee, who would often help out running games, helping to judge games, giving advice or just generally making events more smoothly.” He also cited GameSoc’s variety of activities as a reason for their success, commenting that “if it’s a game, we’ll play it.”

Other honours went to DramSoc’s production of Rent, which was named Event of the Year, and to L&H’s poster advertising Roger Daltrey’s appearance in UCD as Poster of the Year.