Law faculty raises €9,000 for Temple Street

The recent Law|B&L Faculty Day has been considered a huge success in raising much-needed funds for Temple Street Children’s Hospital. Though the final count is not yet in, the Day, held on Thursday February 21st raised approximately €9,000 for the hospital.

The day was the most successful of recent years, breaking the record of money raised for the last four annual events. It is hoped that this success will continue going forward so that next year’s event will help break the €200,000 mark for donations received over the life of the event.

The day began with a collection on the streets of Dublin with Law|B&L Day Co-Chair Jeremy O’Hanlon saying this brought in more than half the donations for the whole day. Those who rose early to collect were rewarded with a kindly donated breakfast in Roebuck Castle. It is likely that this is the last year that the current Law school will play host to the day’s activities as it is hoped the faculty will have moved to the Sutherland School of Law, beside the Quinn School of Business, by September of this year.

A charity debate on the motion ‘This House Believes That in Ten Years, Pure Law students will be shining Business and Law students’ shoes’ followed, as is tradition, in placing the two faculties head-to-head. A tag-rugby tournament ran thereafter with the evening’s events, which included ‘Take Me Out’ and charitable leg-waxing, taking place in Kiely’s of Mount Merrion, the venue for the Students’ Union’s weekly event, ‘Cheeky Tuesdays’.

All law lectures were cancelled on the day which O’Hanlon said made “a big difference” in encouraging students to go out and collect in the early morning for Temple Street. He said that though the Day was “very much a student body effort”, the Law School staff were “very accommodating” throughout the whole process.

All funds raised on the day will go towards the refurbishment of an area within Temple Street itself. Central to making the day a success is sponsorship from law firm, Maples & Calder, who provide a substantial donation to get the Day off the ground.

O’Hanlon says that the day would not have been possible without “the sacrifice and hard work of a large number of students in reaching [the] achievement[s of] this year”. O’Hanlon and Co-Chair Matthew Morrow are currently selecting their successors, with the Co-Chair positions open to any Law or Business & Law student who will be entering final year in September.