Lack of time and funding affects International Week

A LACK of funding and time constraints have been cited as the reasons behind a number of changes and a reduction of events during Cultural Diversity week. The event, which has been renamed International Week, traditionally featured a day of international culture information stands which were to be located in the Newman building. However, these will not be organised this year and will be replaced by a series of other events.

Students’ Union (SU) International Officer, Helena Conway, said that although there have been changes to the traditional setup, event have been organised to replace them. She argued that while the information stands were a “big part of the week, the years before that [they] never existed so it’s not going to affect things that much.”

Stating that exclusion of the international culture stands were unfortunate, SU Campaigns and Communications Officer, Dan O’Neill is confident that the quality of events organised would not suffer. He did however, state that he hoped to see the information stands returned to the event in the future.

Ms Conway felt that the cutbacks were because of a mixture of time and money constraints and echoed Mr O’Neill in her belief that the quality of the campaign would not suffer as a result. Ms Conway also added that they had brainstormed new events to replace the information stands and assured that there would be more events taking place this year compared to the previous year.

“I feel we’ve put a lot of effort into reorganising the week and I think there’s nothing wrong with a bit of change,” said Ms Conway. “We’ve kept lots of the acts from last year so there is the old element in it.”

International Students Adviser, Carl Lusby, said that International Week is more student-orientated, explaining that, “there’s over 3,000 international students in UCD and… I suppose it’s about 110 countries at this stage. It’s just to make the general student body aware of the [international] students and what they can do as well”.

International Week is scheduled to take place from the 16th to the 20th February. Societies such as the International Students’ Society, Erasmus society and Filmsoc will be participating in events during the week.