Jesus Christ Superstar announced as Community musical

On the back of the success of last year’s production of The Phantom of the Opera, the UCD Community Musical will return for 2014. Jesus Christ Superstar will be performed during week three of semester two and the production team are currently searching for people to complete their cast and crew.

The decision to hold the musical was made just two weeks ago, which producer Sarah Hall said was “very exciting.” Hall admits that Jesus Christ Superstar is one of her “favourite musicals” and the Community group on campus has the show at a premium since it cannot be showcased in theatres in Dublin.

Speaking to the University Observer, Hall also expressed her delight at the response to the musical by students and hopes to replicate the success of last year’s event. “It was very successful show, we sold out for six shows with a demand of people that didn’t actually get to see more, so hopefully we’ll see the same response this year.”

Hall anticipates high demand for tickets, however, there is little room for extra shows to be scheduled since any added performances would clash with the UCD Fashion Show that has booked the O’Reilly Hall for the weekend after the performances.

The decision to run with Jesus Christ Superstar was made due to the large number of parts in that particular musical. The cast will be between 60 and 70 in number and Hall is hopeful that “the numbers will stay high” as they have so far. The show allows as many students as possible to get involved, “with an even gender split”.

Auditions for cast members were held last week in the Red Room in the Student Centre, with Hall noting the “very high standard” of performers auditioning.

The Musical is still looking for crew in the areas of production teams, hair and make-up, sponsorship, marketing, costumes, stage crew. Those who are interested can email musical@ucd.ie with their information.

Hall was also keen to stress the value of getting involved in the UCD Community Musical. A lot of past cast members of different UCD Community Musicals are now performing on the West End and studying musical theatre in London, while Hall is now working as a producer and event manager full-time and credits her experience garnered by being involved in the musical.

Previous musicals put on by the group include Phantom of the Opera, Beauty and the Beast, Footloose, Guys and Dolls and West Side Story.