Jedward to play UCD Ball

UCD Students’ Union have confirmed that popular X Factor twins Jedward will be one of three headline acts to play the UCD Ball on Friday 23rd April.

John and Edward Grimes, from Lucan in north Dublin, have gained worldwide popularity since appearing on the ITV programme. Their single, ‘Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby)’, a collaboration with veteran rapper Vanilla Ice, is currently spending its fourth week at Number One in the Irish singles chart.

1,500 ‘Early Bird’ tickets for the event sold out in four minutes when they went on sale two weeks ago; the remainder of the tickets went on sale last week in the SU’s four shops and online, but a server breakdown meant that online sales did not go ahead at the time. These technical issues have since been resolved, and tickets can now bought online at www.ucdball.ie.

Other acts confirmed for the 2010 Ball include Irish dance act Japanese Popstars, Belgian DJs The Subs, and Brazilian husband-and-wife electronic duo Mixhell.

UCDSU Ents Officer, Mike Pat O’Donoghue, declined to name any further acts for the event, but said that the two other headlining acts are “bigger than Jedward.” He is also confident that the headline and supporting acts for the dance stage will meet with the approval of concertgoers. O’Donoghue commented that “there’s still a bit of work to be done, but, so far, I’m very happy with how things have gone and hope to release more acts after the Easter break.”

Tickets for the ball are still available from the SU’s shops and online, and are priced at €35. The 8,000-capacity event, billed as Europe’s biggest private party, will be the largest UCD Ball to date, and will take place on the playing pitches opposite the Quinn School of Business on the last day of term. This year marks the first occasion on which the capacity of the UCD Ball will exceed that of the Trinity Ball, which has a capacity of 7,500.