International News in Brief

Student cleared of sexual assault charges

A STUDENT of Bristol University has been released from police custody after he was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault. The third year student was taken into police custody, as officers believed that he matched the description of the attacker given by victims of sexual assault. This arrest followed recent reports of five sexual assaults in the area. The incidents occurred in the early hours of the morning and police believe all the attacks were carried out by the same man. The investigation into the attacks is currently ongoing.
University of Bristol, England

Report highlights lessening job prospects for graduates

FEWER employers are participating in job fairs and the number of new graduates employed has lessened, according to a new report by the Careers Service at the University of Cambridge. The report also summarises the move away from careers in property and finance and a shift towards interest in postgraduate studies, the public service and teaching. To counteract this, the British Government have also announced funding for 300,000 internships for university graduates.
University of Cambridge, England

Law professor receives threatening package

A HARVARD Law Professor, Alan M. Dershowitz, has received an envelope containing a suspicious white powder, in what is believed to be a response to his ongoing defence of Israel’s involvement in the Gaza crisis. Tests have confirmed that the powder is not anthrax, however, the exact identity of the substance has not been discovered. It is not yet known if the powder is in fact hazardous. The Wall Street Journal, who recently published an article by Prof. Dershowitz, received a similar package from the same location as the envelope delivered to the office of Prof. Dershowitz. The building to which the letter was sent was evacuated, but it has now been declared safe by university staff.
Harvard University, Massachusetts, United States

California state to cut UC enrolment by 2,300

THE UNIVERSITY of California (UC) is to decrease enrolment by 2,300 students. The action, taken by the UC Regents, is a response to insufficient funds, despite a 9.3 per cent increase in fees. This continues the trend that has led to more than a 100 per cent increase in fees over the last eight years. Students have reacted strongly throughout the state of California, insisting that this decision will damage both the student population and the state’s standing on the international stage as the world’s seventh largest economy.
University of California, Los Angeles, United States

Committee formed to tackle policing issues

A POLICE Advisory Committee (PAC) has been created in the University of British Columbia, Vancouver to help raise and address issues concerning policing in the area. Originally proposed in 2007, the PAC was suggested as a means to assist communication between campus residents, locals and the campus Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). There are currently seven members in the committee consisting of representatives from students, the university and members of the University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA). It is hoped that the committee will address issues such as Neighbour Watch Services, the enforcement of rules set by the university and the expansion of policing services.
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Alex Court