International News in Brief – April 16th

London MET regains license to teach international students

London Metropolitan University has regained a license to sponsor Tier 4 visas for international students. Its license was revoked last August, after the UK border agency claimed that one in four students surveyed by the authority did not have legal permission to remain in the UK. Immigration Officer Mark Harper said that “[they] have worked closely with university staff to ensure that London Met standards were improved”.

According to a statement released by the MET: “The original withdrawal by the Home Office threatened to leave hundreds of London Met students having to leave the UK through no fault of their own”. The University took their case to the High Court in August in order to regain its license to teach international students and recently found it restored.”
International students living in London are happy with the news says international student Emmanuel Egwu, from Nigeria. “I am truly thrilled that London Met has finally got back its licence. I came from Nigeria to study here in the UK and London Met has given me the opportunity to exercise and develop my academic knowledge”.

NUS Elects First Non-University President

The UK’s National Union of Students (NUS) recently elected Toni Pearce as its President. Pearce won on the first round of counts with 424 of the 732 valid votes cast.
Pearce is the first President of the organisation not to have come from a University background, and comes from a Further Education College. More than 450 of the affiliated Student Unions in the NUS are non-University colleges.

Speaking following her election president-elect Pearce said she was “really proud to have been given the opportunity to build the student movement around a vision for public education, and to be leading NUS as we build towards the next general election. Between now and 2015 we need to hold a full and frank debate about what education means to society and to properly articulate the public value of education in communities up and down the country.”

Aberdeen University offer ‘Puppy Room’ for stressed out students

Scotland’s Aberdeen University has recently opened up a ‘Puppy Room’ for students experiencing stress from college work. Aberdeen is not the first to do so, and has followed colleges such as Dalhousie University, in Canada, US Kent State University in Ohio and Macalester College in Minnesota which have all introduced ‘Puppy Therapy’ to help with students trying to cope in times of stress.

According to researchers at Hiroshima University in Japan, photos of kittens and puppies make people feel better and also help them to concentrate. At Harvard Medical School and Yale Law School, resident therapy dogs can be borrowed similar to library books for stressed out students who wish to relax.

Aberdeen has teamed up with Guide Dogs for the Blind Association to offer this service. Aberdeen’s President of Societies and Student Activities, Emma Carlen, has said they “got a really positive reaction to that from both the guide dogs and the students, it really chilled them out, so that encouraged us to get this set up for the exam period.”