International News in Brief

Notre Dame President declines group coalition meet

PRESIDENT of Notre Dame University, Fr John Jenkins has declined to meet with a student coalition group after they asked him to reaffirm the university’s commitment to pro-life in light of US President Barack Obama being invited to the university’s commencement ceremony.

The student group, ND response, were initially invited to meet wit Fr Jenkins, however this invitation was revoked when the group made a series of requests deemed inappropriate by administration. As well as asking Fr Jenkins to affirm the university’s pro-life stance, the group asked the university president to employ a pro-life ombudsman. A leader within ND response suggested that the requests made in their reply might have been misunderstood; stressing that at no stage did they use the words “demand” or “precondition.”

University of Notre Dame, Indiana

UCLA festival supports civil rights

A STUDENT-LED festival promoting marriage equality and other civil rights was held at UCLA this month. Political Science and Sociology student, David Valk organised the the event, called 1Fest in response to ‘Proposition 8’, a Californian constitution amendment which restricts marriage to opposite-sex couples. 1Fest hosted a range of musical performances as well as speeches made by human rights activists and students from across the US.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council was responsible for funding the festival, with the assistance of outside organisations.

University of California, Los Angeles

Canberra students at World University Summer Games

TWO TAEKWONDO-practicing students from University of Canberra are set to represent Australia in the sport at this summer’s World University Summer Games (WUSG) in Serbia in July.

Sara Guevara and Ross Campbell will balance study and work while also training up to six times a week prior to the games which will take place in Belgrade, where they will complete with athletes from across the globe. The students also participated in the Commonwealth Taekwondo Union Championships, where Ms Guevara came second and Mr Campbell third in their respective categories.

University of Canberra, Australia

Suspect arrested in Georgetown graffiti attacks

A Georgetown University student was arrested earlier this month as the suspected perpetrator of graffiti incidents that have occurred at the university since late January. The suspect was apprehended by the Department of Public Safety (DPS) officers when he was seen in the early hours of the morning carrying spray paint can.

The arrest was made after at least 18 incidents of defacement by graffiti, including two incidents of religious paraphernalia being defaced, had taken place on-campus. The DPS daily crime log revealed that the case is still under investigation.

Georgetown University, Washington DC

One in ten at Cambridge admit drug use

A RECENT survey undertaken by Cambridge newspaper Varsity has shown that 10 per cent of students take non-prescription medication to maximise their study. Significantly, one third of participants revealed they would take concentration-enhancing drugs to help them work. One of the quoted drugs, Modafilin, which is not available in the UK but is accessed illegally via online pharmacies, has lately been under scrutiny for its ever-growing popularity, highlighted in a BBC documentary. Five students who experimented with the drug for the survey admitted they were more alert on the specific day they took the drug.

Cambridge University, England