International News in Brief

University of Toronto to form funding committee

PLANS to form an advisory committee in the University of Toronto to oversee and direct investments made out of the university’s $5 billion in assets have been finalised. The committee, which will be made up of students, staff and university alumi, will start accepting nominations this week. The committee will consider investing the university’s investment funds in human rights, environmental sustainability, corporate governance and health issues. The committee will be reviewed in three years and could possibly make recommendations directly to the university’s business board.

University of Toronto, Canada

Investigation into shooting of Berkeley student

AN INDEPENDENT investigation into the fatal police shooting of a student is to take place. Officials have announced that Meyers Nave, a law firm, are to investage the officers present at the shooting of Oscar Grant III. The incident, which has led to numerous protests by university students, had culminated in the arrest of police officer, Johannes Mersehle, for the killing of the 22-year-old on New Year’s Day. A report is expected to be completed in the next three months.

University of California, Berkeley

D.C. students encouraged into activism by Oxfam President

THE PRESIDENT of Oxfam America has encouraged students to remain active in pushing for social change. Ray Offenheiser recently spoke to students of the impact that the young generation will have on the future. However, he warned that social change would only happen if people take action. He stressed that students have an ethical obligation to fight against climate change and to foster new legislation to protect the environment, describing it as an urgent issue.

Georgetown University, Washington D.C.

Cambridge student denies shoe throwing to be public order offense

A POSTGRADUATE student who threw a shoe at the Chinese Prime Minister last week has denied committing a public order offense. The student is to be tried next month. Martin Jahnke, a researcher in the Department of Pathology and a postgraduate at Darwin College, has written an apology to the Chinese government following his protest last month. The Chinese Prime Minister, Wen Jiabao was giving a lecture at the university before Mr Jahnke called him a dictator and threw a trainer at him. Mr Jahnke reportedly apologised for failing to show the respect and courtesy that Mr Wen deserved.

Cambridge University, England

Bristol student believed to be responsible for sex attacks

DETECTIVES investigating a series of sex offences in the Bristol area have revealed that they believe a student may be responsible for the incidents and have issued images of a man they wish to speak to in connection with the attacks. The police confirmed that have been seven attacks in total which occurred between 6th October and 21st November. A reward of £5,000 has been offered to anyone who can provide information, which leads to the arrest and prosecution of the attacker. Police originally arrested a third year student for the attacks in December but he was released without charge.

Bristol University, England