Heightened security as Dublin Bus returns

Dublin Bus representatives have agreed a deal with university officials to resume full service of the number 10 bus route to the UCD campus after 8pm.

The service was withdrawn in late September due to intolerable levels of drinking, violent and anti-social behaviour on board some buses.

DSCF0014However, following negotiations between the Students’ Union, Dublin Bus and their trade unions SIPTU and the National Bus and Rail Union (NRBU), the Gardaí and UCD Buildings and Services, the bus service was restored last week.

Under the terms of the agreement however, security around the campus bus stops has been increased in a bid to prevent and discourage anti-social. Members of UCD security staff, Gardaí and Dublin Bus Officials will be present at bus stops for the forseeable future.

SU President Gary Redmond expressed his happiness at the achievement, stating that “the Students Union is absolutely delighted with the return” and gave particular thanks to the Gardaí and UCD Buildings and Services “for all the work they have put in.” Redmond went on to say that he is hopeful the entire student body will co-operate with Dublin Bus and the new security measures.

Vice-President for Students Dr Martin Butler also spoke of his satisfaction at the hard work of all parties involved but warned that “repeated instances of anti-social behaviour on the part of students will result in the permanent withdrawal of route 10 from campus.”

The route 10 bus runs between Phoenix Park and Belfield and is frequently used by many students and members of staff. Dr Butler and Redmond were quick to emphasise the importance of good behaviour on the buses, stating that “any student who conducts anti-social behaviour will be disciplined under the UCD student code and their details will be passed on to the Gardaí.”