Foy yet to officially resign

UCD Students’ Union Postgraduate Officer, Kimberley Foy, has yet to formally resign from her position, despite having indicated her intention to do so at an SU Council meeting two weeks ago.

In order to formally resign, Foy is constitutionally required to contact the SU’s Chief Returning Officer, Paddy O’Flynn, and inform him of her resignation.

In a statement released by the SU, the five sabbatical officers said that “the sabbatical team has not received notification of the resignation of the Postgraduate Officer,” but acknowledged that she “may be in the process of resigning.” They added that when Foy does formally resign, “the Returning Office will advise the sabbatical team on what measures need to be taken to address the would-be vacant position.”

KimFoy-1In the interim, there is no SU officer designated to deal with postgraduate issues, including the new measures surrounding the fees charged to postgraduate students, and the impact on postgraduate students of today’s strike by a number of trade unions.

Foy made known her intention to resign at the Council meeting on the 9th November, after the vote of no confidence in her – which she described as a “drastic step” – was withdrawn.

The motion was withdrawn after the Union’s Campaigns & Communications Officer, Paddy Ryan, removed his name from those seconding the motion. Foy was angered at the motion and decided to resign her post. Speaking to The University Observer, Foy said she felt that the sabbatical officers, who collectively proposed the motion, “were ruining someone’s reputation. They don’t understand that.”

The motion was originally to be put before the previous Council meeting on the 27th October, but was subsequently deferred after Foy revealed that she had been in communication with Ryan over the performance of her duties, contrary to previously believed.

Foy reported asking Ryan to keep her informed of how and when she could apply to run for election for the postgraduate seat on the UCD Governing Authority, as she is required to under the terms of the SU’s constitution, and claimed to have sent him numerous e-mails to this effect. Foy went on to say that she had received no contact from Ryan on this matter.

Ryan countered that he “never received any e-mails from Kim”, and that he had not promised to keep Foy informed of the details of the election to Governing Authority. Despite this, he withdrew his support for the motion, stating that he was “particularly busy” at the time and may not have remembered all the details from his meetings with Foy.