First university-wide module survey results to be released

UCD Students’ Union President Paul Lynam and Deputy Registrar for Teaching and Learning, Professor Bairbre Redmond collaborated on a ‘Have Your Say’ module survey over the Christmas break for modules completed in the first semester.

Many schools within the university complete their own feedback surveys, but this was the first university-wide survey to be completed. A spokesperson for Professor Redmond told The University Observer: “A total of 1616 modules were surveyed at the end of the Semester One 2010/11 and full results will be available from February 1st 2011.”

Students were asked to complete the survey via the SIS, which would provide feedback for lecturers and module coordinators. The survey was first issued on the November 18th and ran until the end of December.

The survey included seven standard questions that are asked for all modules university-wide. Module coordinators were also free to customise their own module survey with the addition of up to seven questions.

The spokesperson said that the aim of the survey was to “give students a voice in the quality review and enhancement of modules university-wide”. Schools will be asked to incorporate student feedback in their planning of future modules.

The ‘Have Your Say’ module feedback campaign developed from a similar feedback programme that was piloted in 2009/2010. The results from the pilot scheme indicated that students welcomed the opportunity to give feedback on their modules while academic staff valued the feedback. In particular, the open-ended questions were found to be very helpful in the reviewing and planning of teaching.

“The student feedback is now a key part of a module enhancement approach to the yearly review and update of modules at school level,” added the spokesperson.

The UCD Strategy for Education Strategy 2009 – 2013 outlined the importance of continuous improvement and enhancement of learning, which could only be achieved through feedback. “In order to promote a culture of self-improvement, the university needs to create innovative data sources and information to help broaden our understanding of the educational experience.”

The full results of the survey will be available the Heads of Schools and Module Coordinators from the February 1st. All the feedback is anonymous and will not be traced back to individual students. Feedback will not become available until after the results of exams have been released.