Executive and Programme Officer nominees announced

Candidates for the Executive and PRO positions of the Students’ Union have been announced ahead of the Sabbatical Elections.

RON (Re-Open Nominations) will be the only opposition for many of the candidates in the elections, which will take place this week on April 13th and 14th, as a significant number of races will be uncontested this year.

In the Executive Elections, current Postgraduate Officer, Martin Lawless, is running unopposed to retain his position, similarly to Caoimhe Seoige and Patrick Wolohan, who are running unopposed for Oifigeach na Gaeilge and Gender Equality respectively.

Taking over from Welfare Vice-President candidate and current Women’s Officer, Regina Brady, Wolohan will be the first person to hold the position of Gender Equality Officer if he is successful. The role will replace the office of Women’s Officer, which was changed during the Sabbatical Elections via referendum.

The position of Environmental Officer will be contested between Roisin Carlos and Conrad Richardson.

A number of Programme Office positions are also uncontested this year, with Emma Lynch running for Agricultural Science, Roisin Conrad for Business, Aiden Conroy for Health Sciences & Nursing, Catherine Murnan for Law & BBLS and Rebecca Keeffe for veterinary.

However, multiple candidates have presented themselves for the position of Arts and Science PRO, the two biggest faculties in the university.

In Science, the five candidates competing for the position are Samir Belhout, Pauric Ennis, Evan Heritage, Shane Sheridan and Chris Wong. The four candidates running for Arts are Mícheál Gallagher, Philip McCann, Mark Stokes and Aisling Sheerin. None of the current PROs are seeking re-election.

At Students’ Union Council last Tuesday, UCDSU Returning Officer Morgan Shelley apologised for the fact the Executive elections are being held in week 11 of term.

This goes against Article 23 of the Students’ Union Constitution, which states: “The Postgraduate Officer, the Irish Language Officer, the Women’s Officer and Environmental Officer shall be collectively be known as the ‘Directly Elected Executive Officers’ and shall be elected annually in elections held not earlier than the seventh week of the second semester and not later than the tenth week of the second semester.”

Shelley admitted the mistake and said that he would accept any queries regarding the timing of the elections.

The results of the Sabbatical Elections were announced two weeks ago, with current Campaigns & Communications Vice-President and former Law PRO, Pat de Brún, voted as the next Students’ Union President.

Sports Officer, Brendan Lacey, will take over from Pat de Brún as C&C Vice-President, while Stephen Darcy will succeed Jonny Cosgrove as Ents Vice-President. Second-year Business and Law student, Rachel Breslin will become Welfare Officer, while Sam Geoghegan will succeed James Williamson as Education Vice-President.