Events in place for International Week

The Students’ Union International Week is set to take place on the week commencing January 30th.

According to SU International Officer, Stephen Stokes, the International Week is an opportunity to “enhance and promote the cultural diversity of UCD.” Most events will cater for all nationalities, including Irish students. However, some events will be aimed specifically at international students to “give them a little taste of Ireland”, such as the day trip to Wicklow on February 4th. Stokes insists that there are events “to cater for all tastes.”

Events include movies in the Global Lounge from Monday to Friday at 3pm, a Halal Food Festival, International Student Society (ISS) Table Quiz, salsa dancing, French breakfast, Mord Fustang International House DJ, Xbox soccer tournament and the Superbowl, with Stokes promising that there is “something for everyone.”

“Most of the activities planned are either new or bring a fresh dynamic to UCD life. The Halal Food Festival is arguably the best example of this. It will form the official launch of the week on January 30th and is being hosted by the Islamic Society. Everyone is welcome and tickets are just €5 for a tasty two course meal”, continues Stokes.

Stokes explains that the reason behind having an International Week was because “the SU and the UCD International Office are fully committed to ensuring international students feel centrally involved in UCD life. International Week 2012 is an excellent opportunity for the student body to celebrate our diversity.”

Stokes’ main hope for the week is that everyone has “a fun time, to do this UCD Students’ Union and the International Office have been unwavering in their support to make sure International Week 2012 is as successful as possible. The Global Lounge will be a hub for activity as will the Students’ Union and Student Centre”.