Eng Day raises €5000

OVER €5,000 has been raised by students during the annual Engineering Day (Eng Day) event however the final total has yet to be finalised. The main fundraising activities took place on the Friday, 31st January while many other activities were organised before and after the day itself. Engineering Society (Eng Soc) Auditor, Simon Keating, stated that he hasn’t “the exact figure yet as we are still counting” but confirmed that “it’s definitely over five grand.”

Although the amount raised for this year’s event was less than the last year’s total of €12,000, Mr Keating expressed his delight at the amount raised. “I’m really, really happy with the amount we raised. I actually expected a lot less,” said Mr Keating. “With the weather and the recession [and] corporate sponsorship was down a huge amount from last year [but] I’m really, really happy with what we got.”

The funds raised will be donated to Aidlink, a Dublin based third-world development charity which contributes to a variety of development projects across Africa. Money will also be donated to Saint Luke’s Hospital cancer centre, which is considered as one of Ireland’s major radiography centres. Mr Keating explained that these charities were the traditional choices and has been associated with Eng Day for the past few years.

Mr Keating was hopeful that the charities would receive their funds “very soon”, despite the fact that a final figure has yet to be determined and administrative issues that have to be resolved.

Eng Day itself started early with a street collection in the city centre from 7.30am onwards. Mr Keating admitted that this did not go as well as planned as “the rain was horrible and kept many people away… everything just came to make sure it [the fundraising] just didn’t work out at all.” Later on in the day, students took part in a fancy dress stretcher race through several pubs in the city centre which raised over €1,000.

Other activities on the day included a five-a-side football tournament and dodgeball games. Eng Day ended with entertainment by a live band and DJ in the Student Club on campus. In fund-raising events before Eng Day, students also held a pub quiz and participated in an all-day busking session from 11am to 11pm on Thursday, 29th January. Mr Keating explained that the group of students continued busking into the night and finished at 3am, “just to keep going for charity.” The events finished with a sponsored swim early on the following Saturday morning.