€8000 in prize money for student safety competitions

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) and drinkaware.ie have launched separate campaigns inviting young people to explore the issues of texting while driving and problem drinking. Prize funds for the multimedia and film based projects are €3,000 and €5,000 respectively.

According to Chief Executive of drinkaware.ie, Fionnuala Sheehan, their campaign was prompted by the fact Irish people consume almost three times as much alcohol as their European counterparts on any one occasion.  The competition is aimed at students because of the temptation to get overly caught up in the social aspects of student life.

The RSA competition, ‘Keep Drama Off the Roads’, hopes to generate awareness among young Ireland of the dangers of using a mobile while driving. They are hoping to appeal to filmmakers between 15-25 and are providing an opportunity for the work to reach a wide audience. Last year’s winning concept has been viewed over 31,000 times on YouTube.

Along with the €3,000 prize fund, the winner will get the chance to work with a team of professional film producers to turn the 1,000 word concept they have submitted into a reality. The winning film will get coverage on the RSA website as well as the competition site, www.keepdramaofftheroads.ie, and the insurance site www.sentantainsurance.ie.

In its sixth year, DARE2BDRINKAWARE.ie , the film and multimedia competition from drinkaware.ie, is aimed solely at third-level students and hopes to raise the profile of responsible use of alcohol. The theme for this year’s competition is ‘pacing our drinking’.

Sheehan says they wish to “empower young people to resist the pressure to drink, or to drink more.” They want to promote the message that ‘’the best pace to drink at is your own”.

The hope is that by bringing students themselves on board, they can get across messages that they feel are relevant to their peers which should help the campaign to be more focused and accessible. Entries for the competition can be produced in the form of a short film or interactive website and focus on the idea of pacing drinking among college age young people.

Entrants must complete a short proposal outlining the idea behind their entry and will have until March next year to develop and complete the project. Industry experts will then judge the winner.

The drinkaware.ie competition is open until 23rd November and more information is available on DARE2BDRINKAWARE.ie. Those interested in entering the RSA competition have until November 16th at 6pm and can find out more at www.keepdramaofftheroads.ie .