€100 stolen from cancer charity book sale

The UCDSU second-hand book sale, held in the tunnel between the Newman building and the James Joyce Library, raised approximately €1,170 for the Relay For Life during its run last week. This is in spite of the fact that around €100 was stolen from the till after it had been left temporarily unattended.

UCDSU Arts Convenor, Declan Clear, declared the week-long sale a success, despite the €100 theft, which he puts down to a lack of vigilance: “It’s unfortunate, because otherwise it’s been so great; everything’s been so positive. People have been coming up here and not even taking books, just donating. Some people have come in and bought a book, and said that they gave me too little for it and then gave me more,” says Clear.

With reference to the missing €100, Clear explains that it was due to the till being left unattended: “There’s no internet signal [at the location of the sale], and we had the money in a till which doesn’t properly close. There was a piece of paper over all the money saying how much money had come in and out, with ‘Irish Cancer Society’ written on the top of the paper. I walked down to send an email. Two minutes later, I walked back in, and the money was gone. Paddy [Guiney] was here, so I thought leaving the place was fine, but he had to go lecture addressing. It was just bad timing on my end for leaving,” says Clear.

Clear says that he has reported the incident to Campus Services and they reassured him that the search for the culprit was “top priority”. There is also a Garda investigation into the incident, which Clear claims shows just how seriously it is being taken.

Concerning the book sale itself, he says the books came from a number of different sources. Donations by lecturers and students were supplemented by the James Joyce Library as well as collecting books that had been left behind in lockers at the end of the previous academic year.

When asked why he chose the Relay For Life as the charity, Clear says he was “on Relay For Life last year. This year, I was just involved in the meetings at the start of the year and I thought it was a good cause. For me, I suppose, my mother had cancer when I was younger. The Irish Cancer Society is a great cause. It was between that and Barretstown, but because I’m involved in ArtSoc, and ArtSoc do a lot for Barretstown, I thought about that and in the end I went with the Irish Cancer Society.”