Dramsoc win four ISDA awards

UCD’S DRAMA SOCIETY (Dramsoc) have enjoyed success at the recent Irish Student Drama Association (ISDA) awards winning in four categories.

The society was nominated in seven different categories and won four awards which included Best Supporting Actor, Best Ensemble cast and Best Costumes and Make-Up.

dramsocThis marks a drop from the six awards won by the society at last year’s ceremony, with outgoing Auditor Conor McKenna admitting that “they were never going to beat that [total again]”, adding that that last year’s haul “was an all time record.” Mr McKenna said that the “standard was much higher this year than in previous years” and that to win four awards was “an incredible achievement.”

Dramsoc member, Colm Mahon, described the awards as a success for Dramsoc as, in addition to the four categories in which they were sucessful, the society was also nominated in the Best Actor, Best Director and Best Overall Production categories, adding that it’s “always nice to be nominated.”

However Mr Mahon was critical of the organisation of the event, which took place in the University of Limerick.

Mr Mahon described the facilities as not being adequate for the set of Twelve Angry Men, the Dramsoc performance which was sent to the ISDA awards, and felt that it hindered and “possibly led to us not winning best overall production because it made the decision not to give it to us easier.”

Mr McKenna was also critical of some aspects of the ISDA’s, including the cost of tickets to see each play stating that “when we hosted it four or five years ago all the shows were free” adding that he felt this was a “crucial part of the festival.”

He believed that this idea made the event “become more about the awards than the theatre festival” and that this charge “destroys the intervarsity aspect of it and it becomes more of a competition.”

However, overall, Mr McKenna believes that UL “should be commended on the successes of actually putting on those shows rather than any particular awards that were won.” Mr Mahon said that Dramsoc will push themselves harder next year in order to “get back to the standard that we’d like to be at [as] we didn’t win as many awards as we would like to.”

The categories won by Dramsoc included Best Costumes and Make-up category which went to Catriona Robinson; Best Supporting Actor, which went to Mathew Kelly and Best Ensemble while the ‘Spirit of ISDA Award’ which went to Colm Mahon. Each award was for the play Twelve Angry Men.