DramSoc Organise 24 Hour Musical

This Thursday the UCD Drama Society (Dramsoc) will hold it’s 24 hour musical in Astra Hall at 7.30pm. The 24 hour musical is an event in the Dramsoc calendar which has previously been well received by students and has raised vital funds for charity.

This year the musical will be directed by final year English with Drama student Daragh Cushen. Cushen, who has been actively involved with the Musical Society and Dramsoc since first, will direct students in Jafar’s Turn: A Twisted Retelling of Aladdin.

Speaking to the University Observer, Cushen explained the process that goes into putting together the 24 hour musical. ‘When the student centre closes [Wednesday evening] we have it all to ourselves and we put the whole show together in 24 hours. Then on Thursday at 7.30 pm the curtain goes up.”

Given the tight turn around on the play, with auditions only having taken place yesterday, Cushen explains that this performance , unlike other productions by Dramsoc which are planned for over a much longer period of time, has some rough corner but he says this ‘adds to the enjoyment’.

Cushen is quick to point out that for him the most important part of the 24 hour musical is the charitable aspect and raising funds for important organisations. This year the chosen charity is Anam Cara Parent Bereavement Support. The charity, which was set up by the mother of Dramsoc’s vocal director, works to provide support for parents following the death of a child.

This year’s play is written by Starkid who are the same company that wrote A Very Potter Musical and Holy Musical Batman, both of which have been previously preformed by Dramsoc. On the chosen play Cushen says “This one stuck out to me. It was there latest one and it was very funny. I am also a big fan of Aladdin. I have done it two or three times before in stage school but this is a completely different take on it and there are some great parts in it and a great chorous.”

The play takes place in Astra Hall tomorrow with tickets on sale for €5 for students and €7 for adults at the door. Students looking to help out on the night with costumes, make up, set design & building, lighting design or as stage hands still have a chance to get involved. Interested parties should email ‘daraghcushen93@gmail.com’ for more information.