Discount driving lessons on offer to UCD students

UCD Students’ Union have secured deal whereby students will be able to take advantage of discounted driving lessons from a local driving school.

The lessons will be available to UCD students at the discounted rate for the remainder of the academic year. The lessons will be provided by OB Drive, the same driving school who provided free half-hour driving lessons during the SU Road Safety Week.

Christmas_VoucherThe free lessons offered to students during Road Safety Week were only available to a limited amount of students due to time constraints, but SU Welfare Officer Scott Ahearn, who organised the free lessons felt the interest level merited a more permanent arrangement.

Students who are interested in the discounted driving lessons can contact OB Drive and must apply for five lessons. Under the terms of the agreement, the first lesson will be free of charge, and students will then pay the normal OB student rate for the remaining four lessons. OB Drive’s normal rates are €32 per lesson, with a regular student rate of €28 per lesson. A UCD student card must be used as proof of identification to avail of the special offer.

The deal follows the SU’s recent road safety campaign week where a limited amount of free driving lessons were made available. SU Welfare Officer, Scott Ahearn, told The University Observer that the free lessons were had generated a “huge amount of feedback” and he describds the deal as a “great discount for students.”

Ahearn is expecting a positive reaction to the lessons based on the feedback received during Road Safety Week, but acknowledges that it will be difficult to predict what the demand for these lessons will be until the scheme has been fully publicised to students. Ahearn expressed satisfaction with the feedback and attendance from students for the road safety campaign week as a whole, citing a “very, very positive reaction” despite poor weather.

OB Drive offer lessons for drivers of all levels, from beginners to advanced.