Crunch Fitness solicit membership details from societies

The auditors of some of UCD’s largest student societies have reported that agents representing the Crunch Fitness gym attempted to solicit copies of their members’ contact details during this year’s Freshers’ Week.
The gym, which operates on the top floor of the UCD Sports Centre, offered some auditors two free gym memberships in exchange for copies of their membership lists, containing personal information – such as the name, phone number, student number and email address – of every member of the society.
Several auditors of high profile societies have told The University Observer they were approached by the on-campus leisure centre staff in the Freshers’ Marquee during Freshers’ Week. Letters detailing the offer were left at the sign-up desks of some societies, while Crunch Fitness representatives actively approached some auditors at their societies’ stands. One auditor said they questioned the Crunch Fitness representative about the legality of the offer, but was told that there would be no data protection implications to the deal.
A number of other auditors said they had been warned of Crunch Fitness’s activity by the Freshers’ Week security staff, and reported that the staff had removed details of the Crunch Fitness offer from the stands of societies before they had been seen by the societies’ officers. A number of sports clubs were also approached over the duration of the week.
A spokesperson for Crunch Fitness declined to comment on the matter.