Christmas Ball rescheduled after snow cancellation

The UCD Ents Christmas Ball has been rescheduled to January 25th, with ’90s bands 5ive and S Club still to headline as well as the winners of Battle of the Buskers competition.

The Christmas Ball was originally set to take place on December 1st but had to be rescheduled due to extreme weather and dangerous travel conditions.

UCD Students’ Union Ents Vice-President, Jonny Cosgrove said: “We had to move the Christmas Ball which was a big undertaking to be honest, really happy this worked out now.”

Cosgrove continued to say that “it was annoying when the snow came down first and everyone realised that the Christmas Ball was on that week; we were trying to come up with every contingency even looking to bring in gravel trucks.” A Facebook status was posted rendering the event cancelled before 2pm on the day.

Cosgrove says that there was a certain “buzz” on campus the week of the Christmas Ball; previous weeks had seen students having to hand in assignments and do mid-term exams which is why December 1st was picked, “because everyone was finished up”.

The postponed Christmas Ball will take place at the late bar in the Student Bar and it will be “pretty much the exact same gig that was wrapped up before Christmas, opened up again,” says Cosgrove.

Refunds were available in the Student Bar until the day campus closed. Tickets will continue to be refunded only at the bar during the first week back, or can be exchanged for tickets to the postponed Christmas Ball at the Student Bar or Students’ Union shops.

“Tickets can be exchanged up to the 21st of January” says Cosgrove, “that’s just so we know how many tickets are there and so that we can keep selling; it was pretty much sold out so I have to get it right.”

Tickets went on sale on Monday January 17th and will also be available from the ucdents.com website. “If you want a ticket, get it quick,” warns Cosgrove. “The best thing to do is keep an eye on Facebook.”