Christmas Ball festive success

The Christmas Ball took place on November 24th in the Student Bar, in keeping with SU Ents Officer Stephen Darcy’s plan to keep balls on campus, reports Katie Hughes.

Darcy was pleased with the event, “it was a bad time of year because everybody’s studying and everyone’s submitting their assignments this week so it wasn’t as busy as I would have liked, but there was still 400 and something people there so it was grand, it was very good”.

“We had Vodafone in and they decked out the bar with giant candy canes and lights and they gave us Santa hats and they had a Santa going around the place. We had a snow machine in and we had Key West, an up and coming Irish band playing, they were supported by Paul Kilgallon and myself … it was a really good night, everyone seemed to have a really good time.”

Students could either pay a €3 admission fee or donate a toy which would be donated to the Christmas Shoebox appeal for Team Hope Ireland. “It’s something that I want to build on, I want to do more stuff like that for student bar gigs … it’s a nice initiative.”

Following the cancellation of last year’s Christmas Ball due to heavy snow, Darcy was aware from the outset that a similar situation might have occurred this year, “it’s always an awkward one, last year it snowed and we didn’t have [a ball]. The risk was always there so I planned from August that I wouldn’t be putting on a big act in case we had to cancel – I think going for the cheap and cheerful version really works out”.

The Christmas Ball was the final Ents event of the year, with no more acts scheduled to perform before Christmas, “we’re doing end of exams Christmas parties but they’re all nightclub based and they’re starting on the 12th of December”. The events are scheduled to run every day except Sundays until the 23rd of December.

Darcy’s plans for Semester Two are still being finalised.  A big act is expected for the first week and RAG week is scheduled for week three, “we’ve an informal agreement [with TCD Students’ Union] that we’re going to do the RAG Ball, a joint one, during UCD rag week, providing our dates match and other inquiries don’t get in the way”.

Wristbands, which will allow a student entry into all twenty-eight ‘Christmas Fest’ events, go on sale for €10.