Candidates for Sabbatical Elections announced

16 people have emerged as candidates for election to the UCD Students’ Union sabbatical officer positions. This year sees a sizable increase in applicants putting their names forward, with the 16 candidates eclipsing the eight who sought election last year.

The candidates for each position are near evenly distributed throughout – all positions will be contested by at least three candidates.

Adding to the overall increasing trend in numbers of candidates, this year sees a significant rise in female applicants across the board, with no less than eight applicants.

Current Students’ Union Campaigns and Communications Vice-President, Pat de Brún, is the only existing Students’ Union officer standing for election for the second year running. De Brún will be looking to step up to the Presidential role of the Students’ Union and will be joined by fellow candidates Brendan Lannoye and Lorcan Gray seeking election.

Three candidates have emerged to fill the role vacated by outgoing Campaigns and Communications Vice-President de Brún. Students’ Union Sports Officer, Brendan Lacey, will contend with Business Programme Officer Emma Fortune and Suzanne Lee.

All except one of the positions (President) will have a female contender and the all-female race for the Welfare Vice-President position guarantees that there will be a female sabbatical officer elected provided nominations are not reopened.

Women’s Officer Regina Brady, Rachel Breslin (Residencies) and Lorna Danaher will be running for Welfare VP, which should offset the male dominance for which UCDSU has come under criticism in recent years. The last female Students’ Union sabbatical officer was Ciara Brennan, who fulfilled the now-defunct Deputy President VP role during the 2007/08 academic year.

Education Vice-President also sees three candidates seeking election to the position. Jennifer Anne Fox, Sam Geoghegan and Students’ Union Chair of Council Aine Gilhooly have all put their names forward.

Entertainments Vice-President looks set to be the most contested position, with four applicants; Stephen Darcy, Darragh Kinsella, Robert Manning and Arts Programme Officer Edel Ní Churraoin vying for the position.

This year’s elections will take place on Wednesday 30th and Thursday 31st of March.