Candidates declare intentions for SU elections

A number of candidates have declared their intention to run for the five full-time sabbatical positions within UCD Students’ Union next month, ahead of the nominations deadline on Thursday 11th February.

So far two candidates have announced their plans to run for the Union presidency. Current Education Vice-President, Donnacha O’Súillebháin, looks set to contest the election against his immediate predecessor, former Education Vice-President Paul Lynam. Ó Súilleabháin, who is currently on leave from a degree in Neuroscience, has expressed interest in the role as he wishes to continue on from the work that he has done in the past year, stating that “I believe that I can continue that role as President and that I can build on what I’ve done this year.” Lynam has shared similar motivation, saying the job of President was “something I’ve always wanted to do and I wouldn’t be running if I didn’t think that I was the best person for it.” Lynam added that “there are a lot of initiatives that I started last year that I’d like to see finished off.”

Third year Arts student Colm Maguire and second year Law and Politics student Pat de Brún have both confirmed their interest in the position of Campaigns and Communications Vice-President. Maguire says he is confident of his chances, being the current LGBT Rights Officer for the SU. Meanwhile De Brún, who is currently Law Programme Officer, feels that he is suited for the job as he is passionate in both the campaigns and communications aspects of the job as he “loves dealing with people.”

It currently appears that the Welfare election may be an uncontested race, with incumbent Welfare Vice-President Scott Ahearn preparing to run for election for the position for the third year in succession. Ahearn, a history graduate, feels that “so much has been achieved in regards to financial assistance, welfare services and campaigns” during his tenure, and said that “students need support now more than ever.”

The election of the new Education Vice-President may also be a one-horse race, with third year Medicinal Chemistry student and current Science Programme Officer James Williamson the only declared candidate so far. Williamson feels his time as the SU’s chief Science representative has influenced him to run for Education Vice-President, telling The University Observer that “I get enjoyment out of the educational aspect. That’s what’s spurred me on.”

Final year Arts student Jonny Cosgrove will be competing against fellow Arts student Jamie White for the position of Entertainments Vice-President. While White declined to comment other than to confirm his decision to run, Cosgrove told The University Observer that he was confident of his chances, citing his experience with a number of societies and in nightclub promotions and promising “put my own angle on it instead of making it the same old, same old” should he be elected.

Sabbatical elections are due to take place on 3rd and 4th March, with formal campaigning starting on 22nd February.