B&L society without auditor

The Business and Law (B&L) society will not have a tangible presence at this year’s Fresher’s Week. According to Chairman of Societies Council, Stephen Whelan, the council did not feel that any suitable candidates had presented themselves for the role of auditor of the society. Whelan told The University Observer that “the only candidates for the position of B&L Auditor last year were not eligible to stand for the position, and as such there is no Auditor currently in place”.

It is not known whether a suitable candidate will seek election for the position. Controversy surrounded the society last year after they were fined €5,000 in partnership with Arts Society by the Societies Council for posters promoting their joint event “The Virgin Ball”. The posters in question urged attendees to “lose [their] V-plates”. In an official statement, the Societies Council called the poster “insidious and dangerous,” and stated that it “constituted a deliberate act of emotional manipulation designed to prey on the fears and worries of students at an especially vulnerable time in their University career.”

Auditor of B&L society for the 2009/10 session, Aoife McGuinness, was unavailable for comment at the time of going to press.