Basshunter to headline 2013 Freshers’ Ball

Swedish DJ Basshunter will headline UCD’s Freshers’ Ball this year on Thursday, September 12th. The event, which is to be hosted in The Academy on Abbey Street, will also include English hip-hop act DJ Yoda, Irish Indie band The Raglans and house-music specialists The Dead Prezidentz, who played at last year’s Freshers’ Ball and UCD Ball.

Tickets are priced at €15 and will go on sale on the morning of Tuesday the 3rd of September, in the UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) Orientation Tent. The Orientation Tent will be opposite the Student Centre for the duration of Orientation Week, which runs from Tuesday the 3rd until Friday the 6th of September.

The Freshers’ Ball is the first event organised the new UCDSU Entertainments Manager, Paul Kilgillon, who describes it as “a taster for what’s coming up for the rest of the year.” He says that UCDSU are “really excited about the Ball this year and we have some fantastic acts… We will be looking to build on this years Freshers’ Ball success by looking forward to booking bigger and better acts for the rest of the year.”

Meanwhile, UCDSU President Mícheál Gallagher called the Freshers’ Ball “a highlight of your university experience and a must-do event for first year students” despite an increase in price of €5 when compared to last year’s general sale tickets, although he is quick to point out that tickets this year are €3 cheaper than they were for the same event in both 2010 and 2011.

Gallagher continued on to say that “this year’s price reflects the excellent acts that SU Entertainments manager Paul Kilgallon brought in. We’re comfortable that the price reflects best value for money and that all attending will have a memorable night out.”